Centennial Beer Hall opens Wednesday

This just in from the Centennial Beer Hall at 5871 Hollister Avenue in Goleta (formerly Mercury Lounge and Gus’s Cocktails):

“Get ready everyone, we are opening this week! Come out and see us and the brand new bar Wednesday-Sundays! This dream would have never become a reality without the love & support of everyone involved and we cannot wait to share this space with all of you 🙂 Hours: W 3-9, Th 3-9, F 12-11, Sat 12-11, Sun 12-9. This spot has been a staple of Old Town Goleta for over 60 years and we are stoked to carry that torch and continue to serve the community with an extensive selection of craft beer, local wines and much more.”

Courtesy photos

This entry was posted in Restaurant News. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Centennial Beer Hall opens Wednesday

1. Christine_Z28 says:

Aw, man, they de-funkified it… Best of luck, glad a new venture opened in the space!

2. El Guapo says:

Went yesterday, good beers on tap for sure, but I hope they have plans to liven the place up a little. Plenty of wall space for TV’s to show games, or at least put up some artwork/pictures, something, it’s a little stale and boring in there. You could faintly hear some music in the background, but the volume was so low you could barely hear it. I get it, they just opened, they were probably hustling to get the place opened up asap, which I totally understand. I’ll go back because they have a solid beer lineup, but in 6 months to a year if they haven’t done anything to liven the place up I’m not optimistic about their long term viability.

• Ron Batdorf says:

Hi El Guapo,

Thanks for the kind words about the beer selection and for your understanding of the challenges involved in opening a new business. We definitely plan to add in more finishing touches to the space soon. You were right to assume that we were very excited to get the doors open ASAP! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Cheers!

Ron Batdorf
      Centennial Beer Hall

3. Matt P says:

My girlfriend and I went to check them out on opening night and were a little disappointed to see what they had done with this space. This is not the Mercury Lounge with a fresh coat of paint and in its current state feels a little cold and lifeless. Bright lights, grey walls, metal chairs, & small tables. All of the plant life has been stripped from its patio and with no couches or pool table, there is very little insensitive to want to stay here very long and is not well suited for larger groups. Beer selection is good but they are clearly trying to appeal to a different crowd than Mercury Lounges former scene. I realize that they may not have had a chance to finalize the inside, so hopefully with some time they can inject a little bit of charm back into the space with some artwork on the walls (or at least some TVs to watch sports on) and some cozier spaces to hang out in. Also, when we asked if there were any comment cards, we were told by a staff member that “the owner is not somebody who would want any feedback” (which was shocking) and was followed up with trashing mercury lounge for its “dive bar feel”. I hope the new owner can find a balance between where the place is now while bringing back some of charm that the made the Mercury lounge one of our favorite bars in Goleta. We decided to give this place another shot in a few weeks to give them a chance to get on their feet a little more and to see if this was just a rough first impression.

4. Ron Batdorf says:

Hi Matt P,
    Ron here from Centennial Beer Hall. First, let me thank you for coming out and giving us a shot on our opening night! The turn out was really amazing and I am truly grateful to everyone who came to support our opening.
    I would like to address the comment you received from someone (likely not a member of my staff, there was some folks wearing our merch t-shirts in addition to our staff members) about “the owner not wanting any feedback.” To set the record straight, this could not be further from the truth! The hospitality industry is all about striving to meet and exceed guest expectations and we at CBH are not above those values in any way. As a business owner I am always happy to hear from our guests, whether it is praise or constructive feedback. If or when you do decide to come back in please feel encouraged to ask to speak with me, I’d love to chat more about the future plans I have for the space.

Cheers!

• Matt P says:

Ron,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I’m glad to see you are taking the time to read and reply to community feedback personally. We thought the “owner not looking for feedback” comment we got was very odd and I’m happy to see this is not the case. Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the person we spoke with but he was wearing the same shirt your staff members had on. Sorry if we were incorrect in assuming he was a regular member of your staff. He said that he had done all of the lighting for you there if that helps you to identify who I am referring to. Sorry if my original post comes off harsh. Lots of great memories at the Merc and I think we were just a little shocked to see how different it is in there now. Anyways, welcome to the neighborhood! We look forward to stopping by to have a beer and see how things are growing there sometime soon..

Cheers!