Greek tragedy?

Reader Brendan sent me this message about Yanni’s at Mackenzie Market on upper State Street:

“I was saddened to learn today that MacKenzie Market has closed, including the Greek deli inside, after decades serving up delicious gyros and tri-tip sandwiches. Pretty sure the closure is permanent. I had noticed it appeared closed for the past week or two and then a few days ago I walked up to look. Peering inside I could see all the furniture inside had been removed and — what really chilled me — the ever-present barbecue grill out front was gone. By chance the owner happened to come up just then, apparently to pick up mail or continue cleaning up. I asked if he’d thrown in the towel. ‘Had to,’ he said. Broke my heart. Only silver lining is another fellow there with him said he may try to open a catering operation or food truck in the future. Hopefully that comes through.”

Photos by The Restaurant Guy

This entry was posted in Restaurant News. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Greek tragedy?

1. Johnathon says:

Curious Karen,

I went there once and only once as the service and atmosphere were not what I was expecting. It seemed like this market needed a lot of work/maintenance that was never done. Such a great location. Hopefully something new and exciting coming in.

2. Johnathon says:

3. Andy says:

This is terrible news. The place was certainly a strange experience, but I loved the gyros. No other local places compares, as least as far as I have tried.

4. FoodieSB. says:

It makes me very sad that people are losing their businesses everyday. I hope it’s just temporary and that they will re open. Un

5. Brendan says:

Pretty sure the closure is permanent. I had noticed it appeared closed for the past week or two and then a few days ago I walked up to look. Peering inside I could see all the furniture inside had been removed and — what really chilled me — the ever-present barbecue grill out front was gone. By chance the owner happened to come up just then, apparently to pick up mail or continue cleaning up. I asked if he’d thrown in the towel. “Had to,” he said. Broke my heart.

6. Hefe says:

Great sandwiches.

I used to go infrequently and always dead. Kept the biker sign next to the market sign very confusing. I never saw a woman in there.

He kept chains up worried about people cutting through or turning around. Usually you want activity?

That could be an amazing spot like Daily Grind on De La Vina and Mission.

7. SanRoque mom says:

I moved to Santa Barbara 20 years ago and this market has always been at this same location. I live around the corner and drive by this place almost daily and through out the years it seems like it’s just looking worse. Although I feel horrible for the owners I hope who ever opens up really makes it looks nicer. This being such a wonderful neighborhood and all.

8. debbie says:

Sadly, this will not be the last place to close…..
    the property is in escrow with a 5.5 million listing price
    more condo developments for the neighborhood is my guess…..

9. SanRoque mom says:

Confirmed that this property is in escrow and the asking price is 5.5 million dollars. Hopefully with new owners deep pockets we can get excited about what’s in store for this great location.

10. SanQuentinGuy says:

i’ve lived here 5 years and thought it was an abandoned building this entire time.

11. Curious Karen says:

I am interested in that location. I want to make cheese trays and sell fresh cheese from all over the world. Does anyone know who the owners are ? Can I get their contact number?

12. Johnathon says:

We need a great sit down restaurant in San Roque one with great food, amazing service and lots of outdoor seating.

13. Brendan says:

To be honest I would be sad to see it spruced up into some glitzy place. The super-funky hole-in-the-wall vibe was a big part of its charm. Service was definitely idiosyncratic, which was understandable because it was a one-man operation, but he was always friendly and attentive. It’s would be unfortunate if we get to a point where a guy can’t succeed just by being affable and selling great sandwiches, but has to go upscale.

14. Wineman says:

Brendan you obviously have zero business experience! That being said I would like to open a wine tasting room at this location so anyone that can get me in touch with the new owner would be very appreciated. Maybe that cheese lady can get in on this.

15. Gary Sudder says:

No surprising– this was us unfettered capitalism. Dog eat dog. It’s sad to see local places go, but rest assured theyll be replaced by corporate chains for everyone to support

16. Kim says:

I would rather support a small business if that is what goes in. To be honest I don’t think there is a place for run down dirty eating place that people feel good about supporting.

17. Gary Sudder says:

Many American corporate chains are run down and dirty–top to bottom.

18. Kim says:

Gary S. I have a fantastic idea….Let’s not support those businesses! We are in control of where we spend our mighty dollar.

19. Gary Sudder says:

That’s a great idea, we should all support mom and pops to help them through this bad plague. We shall support with our not so mighty “dollar” compared to the pound, btc, and the euro–it may soon be not so “mighty” given the reserve printing the fiat bigly. Might as well be paid in monopoly ‘money’. Maybe use other currency for the mom and pops? just some thoughts brother.