Here is a list of area eateries that have closed in the last year: Every few months I publish a list of restaurant openings, closings, and a list of restaurants that are coming soon.
- May 2019: Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 1209 Coast Village Rd., Montecito (changing to a restaurant); Senior Frogs, 892 Linden Ave., Carpinteria; Smithy, 7 E. Anapamu St. (changing to a tapas place)
- April 2019: Borrello’s Pizza and Pastaria, 3807 Santa Claus Ln., Carpinteria (I’m told it will reopen under new ownership with same restaurant name); Ike’s Love & Sandwiches, 6530 Seville Rd., Isla Vista (moved to 1936 State St.); Jersey Mike’s Subs, 1213 State St.; Red Pepper Restaurant, 282 Orange Ave., Goleta
- March 2019: Green Star Coffee, 38 W. Victoria St.; La Bella Rosa Bakery, 7127 Hollister Ave., Goleta
- February 2019: Kahuna Grill, 7010 Camino Real Marketplace, Goleta (now Mesa Burger)
- January 2019: Giovanni’s, 1187 Coast Village Rd., Montecito (changing to Ca’ Dario); Rodney’s Grill at the Hilton, 633 E. Cabrillo Blvd.
- December 2018: Big Eye Raw Bar, 38 W. Victoria St.; Hanamura, 901 Embarcadero del Mar, Isla Vista (now Hanamura Cantonese Dim Sum); One Piece, 6555 Pardall Rd., Isla Vista (now Mala Town); Pacific Crepes, 705 Anacapa St.; Spoon, 1222 State St. (changing to Mangione’s Italian Ice); Your Cake Baker by Wayne Kjar, 2018 Cliff Dr. (now The Little Things Bakery)
- November 2018: Sunny Korean Restaurant, 532 State St. (now Mosto Crudo); Wildwood Kitchen, 412 E. Haley St.
- October 2018: Basil’s, 608 Anacapa St.; Burger Barn, 3621 Sagunto St., Santa Ynez; Santa Barbara Brewing Company, 501 State St. (now Cruisery)
- September 2018: El Pollo Rico, 5698 Hollister Ave., Goleta (now La Guerrerita); Good Cup, 1819 Cliff Dr. (now Lighthouse Coffee); Mundos, 901 N. Milpas St. (now Bossie’s Kitchen); Pinkberry, 742 State St.; Sly’s, 686 Linden Ave., Carpinteria (changing to Little Dom’s Seafood); Urkeb, 413 State St.; Vons in La Cumbre Plaza, 3855 State St. (changing to Bristol Farms)
- August 2018: El Pollo Loco, 5796 Calle Real, Goleta (now Masala Spice); Flagstone Pantry, 38 W. Victoria St.; Frankland’s Crab & Co., 1295 Coast Village Rd., Montecito (now Sushi|Bar); HiWi Tropical Fusion, 6555 Pardall Rd., Isla Vista (now Mala Town); Locavore Kitchen, 21 W. Victoria St.; Miso Hungry, 134 E. Canon Perdido St. (changing to a French bakery); Paesano’s Pizzeria, 1429 San Andres St.; Trattoria Mollie, 1250 Coast Village Rd., Montecito (moved to 1218 State St.)
- July 2018: Taco Tuyo, 724 E. Haley St. (now Buena Onda)
- June 2018: Cadiz, 509 State St. (now Alito’s); Grilled Cheese Truck, 956 Embarcadero Del Norte, Isla Vista (now California Taco); Nicky D’s Wood-Fired Pizza, 2840 De la Vina St. (now Lilsey’s Wood-Fired Pizza); Rincon Brewery, 6583 Pardall Rd., Isla Vista (now Rockfire Grill); Worker Bee Café, 5599 Hollister Ave, Goleta (now Uniboil)
- May 2018: Chipotle,723 State St.; Empress Palace, 2251 Las Positas Rd.; Mattei’s Tavern restaurant, 2350 Railway Ave., Los Olivos; Peet’s Coffee, 1131 State St.; Sorriso Italiano, 901 Embarcadero del Mar, Isla Vista (now Hanamura); Subway, 1936 State St. (now Ike’s Love & Sandwiches); Wildwood Café, 1130 State St.
Goleta dining institution Red Pepper closed after decades in business