RUMOR MACHINE

I am hearing that a restaurant is coming to 801 State St., the former home of Rocks. I have no idea what type of eatery it will be. As always, this rumor might be completely false or a brilliant forecast of future events. Your call.

13 Responses to RUMOR MACHINE

1. a p c says:

I’m guessing it’s th ‘upscale mexican’ place i’ve seen ads for on craigslist.

2. Jerry says:

What SB REALLY needs is a “gastro pub”. Several great ones in NYC, a couple in LA and a really good one in Newport Beach ( the OC) that would go PERFECTLY in SB. It is called CrowBar. really good and a perfect fit for SB. Packed all the time. Check it out crowbarcdm.com

I love Mexican food but please! No mas!

• Ryan says:

Crows reminds me of Fathers Office…

• David says:

Ryan, what are you talking about? We already have a gastropub … at least that’s what the owners of Hollister Brewing Company consider their place.

• WM says:

Unfortunately, there is a significant chunk of the population that won’t drive out to the edge of Goleta to eat at Hollister Brewing Company. I never understood why they chose to open their location there when they would be killing it downtown (rent was probably the main reason given the space they need). They’re far better than any of the downtown pubs. A good gastropub downtown with GOOD food and GOOD service (not the horrible food from places like SB Brewing Company or the horrible service you get at Union Ale) would absolutely kill it.

CrowBar and Father’s Office are two good examples of what would do very well in SB.

• Jerry says:

I SO agree WM. I may see if the CrowBar guy’s would consider an expansion to SB. Right now they are so successfull with their Corona Del Mar/Newport biz they opened a very cool Burger bar. All someone has to do is copy what they have done and replicate it here in a good location. Such a good menue. If I had the $$ it would be the first thing I would consider opening in SB. Basicly no competitio.

• Whirl says:

Funny you should say all this, we love Hollister Brewpub especially to watch one or many sporting events, but it is usually too packed to get in. We waited for almost an hour on Friday & that was after calling in advance to get our name on the waiting list. I think they are “killing it” just fine in Goleta.

• SL says:

I’ve always thought it was strange that SB doesn’t have a gastropub (despite that it’s an annoying term). In other cities these type of places are packed. Tasty and interesting craft beer on tap, farm to table well executed food, and a lively atmosphere that is suitable for a weeknight dinner, but also classy enough for a dinner date.

The closest thing we have is the Brewhouse and it’s long over due for an update. They need to close down for a few days and pressure wash the whole place and update the menu. They are still packed nightly after all these years so I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Enough with all the average Mexican and Italian food places opening up, SB is ripe for someone to open a restaurant showcasing the revolution in “new American” cuisine that’s been happening in the past few years utilizing our amazing local ingredients.

• Jerry says:

Ditto again on SL. SB is the perfect place for a “gastopub” (I know it sounds like a surgical proceedure) great wines, micro brewed beers and great local ingredients. The places currently here are not at this level. Like I said previously check out the CrowBar website and look at their menu, beer list and wines. Also the style of the place. Needs to be a “package” deal. Not a beer joint that also happens to have food.

3. Andi ^..^ ~ says:

Ooohh a Father’s Office would be SWEET ! My fav CC joint 😀

4. dmo says:

The term “gastropub” borders on nauseating… But, Fathers Office style would be sweet…
    The name “Snack Shack” kills all hope… Isn’t anyone paying attention???

5. Garry says:

I have been told that the idea for the Rocks building was to build a third story on it (all in glass) and put in a very high end sushi restaurant. The other buildings around there already have 3rd stories. This comes from certain individuals who know the owner of the building. Apparently, they already have the restaurant in mind and are in the process for a 2013 opening. However, that is just a rumor until something actually happens.