The Santa Barbara Central Library is the largest element of the library system which serves Santa Barbara County, containing nearly 300,000 volumes. The library system circulates nearly 2 million items to approximately 250,000 residents. There are branch libraries in Montecito, Carpinteria, and on the Eastside of Santa Barbara. The Santa Barbara Public Library System is a member of the Black Gold Library Consortium, which also includes the San Luis Obispo Library System, the Paso Robles Library, the Santa Maria Library, the Lompoc Library, and the Blanchard Library in Santa Paula. The Faulkner Memorial Art Gallery, and Faulkner East and West Galleries, are located within the library building. The original building was designed by local architect Francis Wilson, based on sketches by Henry Hornbostel of Pittsburgh, and opened on August 27, 1917. Carleton Winslow directed the 1925 reconstruction (following the 1925 Santa Barbara earthquake) and designed the tympanum over the main entry. The Faulkner Memorial Art Gallery was designed by Myron Hunt and opened on October 15, 1930. In 1979-1980 the library was remodeled and expanded.