211 Stearns Wharf
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
Open daily 10am-5pm; Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve (3:00
p.m.), Christmas Day, New Years Day.
The Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History Sea Center is a fun, engaging, interactive marine education
facility located on Stearns Wharf. Owned and operated by the Santa
Barbara Museum of Natural History, the ea Center
fulfills the mission of the Museum to inspire a passion for the
Interactive exhibits, scientific discovery:
- Opportunities to work like scientists,
sampling and testing ocean water, studying animal behavior, and
examining microscopic marine life
- Live tide pool animal encounters
- A theater showcasing the wonders of the Santa
- At the Sea Center, you will
discover the fun science and the wonders of the natural world.
- Enter the two-story glass foyer and greet a
39-foot, life-size model of a California Gray whale and her
- Crawl through a tunnel inside a 1,500 gallon
surge tank to see the life of the ocean. Observe sea stars,
urchins, limpets, and much more.
- Be an oceanographer for a day. Take ocean
samples and view sea life close up through video magnifiers.
Test your ocean samples to determine water quality.
- Learn about ongoing scientific research, get
an update on marine mammal sightings, and sing along with whales
Take the 101 to the Garden Street exit. Turn
ocean. Turn right
Cabrillo Blvd. Turn left at State Street on to Stearns Wharf.