OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE TO CLOSE

I spoke with a representative with Outback Steakhouse at 5690 Calle Real in Goleta who told me their lease is up for renewal next month and that rent was increased so much that they won’t be able to stay. I was told that the restaurant will be closing permanently November 12th. They hope to relocate somewhere else in town but it won’t happen any time soon, if it happens at all.

17 Responses to OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE TO CLOSE

1. JTown says:

Another victory for Santa Barbara real estate!

• Chad Page says:

Yup. If they don’t have another tenant lined up, this is gonna be another space left open for >2years in that neighborhood.

And here I had the naive hope they just might get reasonable now that Michael Towbes is gone. Nope. Way to go there…

2. Rex Of SB says:

I’d say I was surprised—but nah, not really. I still wonder why Outback wasn’t open for lunch weekdays. They may think they wouldn’t have much business at that time, but Chili’s always seems to be busy at lunchtime.

3. Whirl says:

I don’t think it had anything to do with how busy it was, because it was always very busy for dinner, with a wait during prime hours. I’m sure the reason they gave, is the reason. The list of places that have left or gone under for that same reason, in that same area, is a very, very long one.

4. Brian says:

The food quality and service have both gone downhill drastically over the last few years.. They do not staff enough waiters, so there are 15 minute waits for a table even if the restaurant is only half full. I never noticed any managers around, just a bunch of young servers who need training. I hope something good moves in to this location.

• Chaz says:

True. The restaurant seemed to have more efficient service and better food quality/prep when former owner Eric “Sunny” Butler was at the helm. He was always hands on during the dinner hour and loomed like a “mother hen” to make sure the joint ran smoothly.

5. MK says:

Please……Wood Ranch!!!!

6. Steve says:

Their hours are lousy. They close at 9pm or 9:30pm (I sometimes would’ve gone there for a late dinner, but they were closed). And they don’t open until 4pm Mon-Fri. If they were open more hours, they’d serve more customers and make more money, and be able to afford their rent.

7. AJ says:

Not surprised at all- we quit going here at least 10 years ago due to lack of quality service and food inconsistencies… Would love to see something like Eureka move in.

8. Nancy Freeman says:

Please…..give us a decent fish restaurant…..I mean a simple piece of real grilled or broiled fish without the fried potatoes ( chips?) which always look as though they have already been eaten once.
    How can it be so difficult to get decent seafood, just yards from the ocean? Scallops….?? Any chance of a scallop or two? Where is the good clam or fish chowder, something without a cup 3/4 filled with flour and potatoes!!
    Granted, I’m a New Engländer….. I do miss the many great fish restaurants back there.

9. Sandi Ruiz says:

I would prefer to see a Home Town Buffet or an Applebee’s. We need a variety of restaurants instead of the same old high priced competitors which many family’s can’t afford. Bring family friendly restaurants that have something for everyone.