URKEB OPENS

Reader Jennie let me know that the signs are up at Urkeb 413 State Street (formerly the Mex Authentic and Pace) so I stopped by and spoke with the manager who said they opened last Thursday. I am told that the restaurant serves German kebaps.

6 Responses to URKEB OPENS

1. SY Foodie says:

I have great respect for the courage shown by anyone who opens a restaurant on State Street, but…!

2. Rich says:

So excited for this, saw the menu while walking along during Fiesta – looked decent value. Hope it’s good!

3. Jim says:

From the photos, all I see is a $9 Doner kebab which is of course Turkish food from Germany. No sign of brats, currywurst or fleischkase. Kind of like a Mexican place with only 3 different tacos.

• debbie says:

Their marketing is very misleading!

It’s not german food! It’s Turkish! It’s a turkish doener place.
      Just because something is sold in Germany that does not make it german!
      I’m sure there are millions of Pizza sold in Germany every day….does that make pizza german food or is it still italian?
      Think about it…….

• Christine says:

“I am told that the restaurant serves German kebaps.” Maybe if they stop telling customers they sell German Turkish food, there wouldn’t be confusion.

4. Mike says:

The German Kebap has its own story. True: The vertical grilled meat was brought from Turkish immigrants to Germany in the 1970s. BUT: In Germany, the idea was born to put the grilled meat into a bread together with veggies and a yoghurt sauce. It’s like Hot Dogs in the US. I would say Hot Dog is seen as a typical US food. A German sausage, invented by a German guy – but in the US. So, it is not German, it is known as American. And today its the most common street food in Germany. I think as Döner is not really known today in the US, those facts are not known in the US today as well. You will not find that kind of Döner in Turkey, it’s in fact not a Turkish traditional food the way it is offered from Urkeb. Today its the most common street food in Germany. I am German – I love it, and missed it here in SB. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter where it comes from. It is great food! Try it!