CREEKSIDE RESTAURANT & BAR READY TO OPEN

Readers Nick, Tabitha and Mike let me know that in the coming days Creekside Restaurant & Bar will be opening at 4444 Hollister Avenue, the former home of Boondocks and the legendary Creekside Bar. This weekend was the original plan for opening day but rain might bump the date a few days.

I stopped by the other day and quickly realized that this is not just a new coat of paint. Creekside owner David Burkholder, who also owns the The Neighborhood Corner Bar & Grill at 235 West Montecito Street, has extensively renovated the property. Creekside, which used to be a 21-and-over bar is now a full restaurant and bar for people of all ages and it’s very family friendly. When fans of the Creekside come for a visit the first thing they will notice is that things have been turned inside out. Among many upgrades, the space that used to contain a large indoor dance floor is now an outdoor dining area. Behind the restaurant is a huge space for private parties, one of the largest outdoor dining venues anywhere on the South Coast.

Barbecue fans will rejoice. “What I have done is a Southern barbecue-based menu with California influence,” says long time local Chef Kyle Jones. “We have the traditional stuff like the baked beans, coleslaw, and mac & cheese then I’m bringing California influences like roasted Brussels sprouts and a watermelon feta salad. Were doing farm fresh salads to appeal to what we think the Santa Barbara area wants. Then you have southern things like smoked chicken wings with Alabama white sauce, jazz apple & celery. We’re doing house-made sausage, smoked chicken, ribs, tri-tip, pulled pork, and we have vegetarian-based salads. You can get ala cart meats to go with your salad. We’re doing craft cocktails [by General Manager and Mixologist Richard Hollowell], wines by the glass, wines by the bottle, and we’re outsourcing local wineries like Brander and Ballard Lane. We’re trying to get a real approachable feel, basically a smaller end, middle end and higher tier wine selection. Quality is our focus all the way across the board.”

A glimpse of the new back patio and private events area at Creekside Restaurant and Bar.

20 Responses to CREEKSIDE RESTAURANT & BAR READY TO OPEN

1. Rex Of SB says:

As a barbecue aficionado, I welcome the new Creekside!

One suggestion I’d make is that they serve beef dishes other than exclusively tri-tip. While tri-tip is, of course, delicious, it seems to be the only beef ever served at most SB County BBQ places. Beef brisket would be a VERY welcome menu offering.

2. Rich says:

Looking forward to checking it out, looks like quite the overhaul!

3. Spank says:

Can’t wait to try it out being so close to home.

And Rex, are you ever going to understand the economics of preparing/selling brisket in SB is never going to work? Have you ever watched how Franklin does it and wondered “gee is that possible in SB?”

• Rex Of SB says:

Why should brisket in Santa Barbara be any different than anywhere else in Southern California? I’ve seen brisket work in far smaller communities than here. The Oak Pit in Oak View was a huge success until the family that owned it retired. Dicky’s in Goleta seems to be doing well with their brisket. Sorry – I think there IS a market for it here.

Who’s Franklin?

• PressDemocrat says:

There was a great article recently in Meat Digest that Brisket economics have been trending positively with respect to ROI’s, and have finally started to approach an IRR above the historically low discount rate of 5% that has plagued the BBQ-meats industry since Sinclair’s famous muckraking piece. Investor’s initial fears about inflated cap rates seem to be diminishing as the closely tied molasses futures approach contango, with significantly less long perm hedging and options collaring. See Jimmy Dean’s recent thesis for more info.

• Jim says:

Don’t see that the lowest Yelp rating I have ever seen (2&1/2) and tied with Woody’s translates into doing well. Maybe since it’s Goleta they will make it as I guess Woody’s is still in business. I wouldn’t eat at either. Franklin is a real BBQ in Austin TX.

• Rex Of SB says:

Who has the 2 & 2 1/2 Yelp rating? I’m totally with you on Woody’s. Creekside isn’t in Goleta, though – or even Noleta. It’s quite near Hollister & Modoc.

• Jim says:

Both Dickey’s and Woody’s have a 2&1/2 (two and one half) Yelp rating, no one said anything about a 2 rating. Any way Creekside is not in Santa Barbara city, so if not Noleta, I’ll just say out in the county.

• Spank says:

Rex do you understand basic restaurant economics? Are you trying to say that running a restaurant in SB is the same as Oak View? Or TX? And as mentioned, Franklin in Austin is the undisputed king of brisket… do some research. You can’t run a profitable brisket business in SB… unless you accept mediocrity.

• Rex Of SB says:

*sigh*

No one is advocating a restaurant that sells brisket only.

All I’m saying is that 99% of barbecue-oriented restaurants in our area serve only tri-tip and ribs as beef offerings. There’s at least one local restaurant that serves brisket, but unfortunately, the chef isn’t skilled in cooking it.

You seem to think that brisket isn’t do-able in Santa Barbara because it’s expensive. There is a simple way around this: charge accordingly for it, even if it means it may be higher priced than the pedestrian tri-tip that seems to now be our only choice.

Forgive me, o traveled one, for never having heard of Franklin in Austin. In that regard, you say, “do some research.” To which I reply, if you’re going to cite a restaurant that isn’t a household name outside of Texas, it might be nice to explain what it is in the first place. In your first reference, you just refer to it as “Franklin” and don’t even identify it as a restaurant.

One doesn’t have to understand restaurant economics to know that any local restaurant can offer beef brisket as an adjunct to its tri-tip and ribs. It’s been done in the past and it can certainly be done now.

• Lily says:

Don’t like bbq, never being to Austin, and I have heard of Franklin.

Line is long and they sell out by noon. Running a restaurant is difficult in SB and Goleta because we have big city rent price, which dramatically increases overhead, and small town palate. Why offer something more expensive and less popular than the typical tri-tip? It takes extra labor, kitchen space, and if less people want to pay the premium, it also means more food waste.

• Sally says:

Having a bad day, Spank?

• Jared says:

Spank, please don’t assume like a donkey. Arron Franklin and his crew start work in the wee hours of the morning. It has zero to do with rental prices. Plus, David and his wife own the building, so there’s no rent to pay and your point is pointless. Research much? You’ve failed on all fronts. Now, if they can get talented pit masters to come in at 2am or earlier and work LONG shifts, find and utilize large capacity smokers, possibly with red oak instead of Texas post oak, we might have the closest thing to central Texas style BBQ in California, with some upcoming places in L.A. Bring on the slow and low brisket, spare ribs and pork butts!!!

4. LiliChicken says:

My husband and I met at Creekside! Our wedding anniversary is this weekend! Perhaps we will be able to celebrate where we met one another!

5. VT says:

Wildwood Kitchen serves a decent brisket.

6. Ray Goldenberg says:

You should make the trip down to Ventura for some Texas style beef ribs as well as brisket, and babybacks at Wood Ranch. As a native Texan, living for the last 25 years in Carp, I can say that, without a doubt, it is the best in California. BTW, Dickeys in Ventura is far better than the Goleta location. Unfortunately the Ventura location was just purchased by the same owner of the Goleta location. I hope he doesn’t screw it up as he did Goleta. I had such high hopes, as Rex did, for the Goleta Dickeys. Fortunately from Carp I can be at Wood Ranch as fast as I can go to Goleta.

• Pete says:

If you like brisket, you owe it to yourself to try Neighbor Tim’s on Saturdays in Goleta. It’s the best I’ve had in California (with the smoking pig in San Jose being second).

7. mikeyr says:

nothing to write home about, tri-tip was ok, that is it just ok. The babybacks were bland. No beef ribs, fries were good though. My wife wanted BBQ chicken and the only way to get it was to order the only meal available, the 3 meat combo. I know they just opened but I likely won’t be going back.

Unfortunately, with no beef ribs at Creekside, Woody’s is still probably the worst BBQ in town and is still the best in town.