ISLANDS RESTAURANT COMING TO LA CUMBRE PLAZA?

This just in from reader Bodie:

Hi John, I received word today from someone in their corporate office that Islands Restaurant just signed a lease to open up a restaurant in La Cumbre Plaza.  Construction is scheduled to get underway shortly.  I’ll let you know when I have an anticipated opening date.

28 Responses to ISLANDS RESTAURANT COMING TO LA CUMBRE PLAZA?

1. lola says:

Although I’ve never eaten at an Islands, I have to imagine it will be a welcomed addition to La Cumbre. There a lots of families looking for a casual family/kid friendly restaurant.

2. Rex Of SB says:

Any idea where in La Cumbre Plaza it will be?

• John Dickson says:

No idea. Marmalade would be a logical spot since it has a kitchen already plumbed. I have had no confirmation that this deal is really happening.

3. Paul says:

I think a big brew pub would do really well up there

4. El Guapo says:

I love Islands, and as a San Roque resident with kids, I hope this is true. There is a severe shortage of family friendly places in the upper State area. Stoked to hear this.

• Christine says:

Interesting, what defines “family friendly”? I don’t have kids, but I’m thinking of Harry’s, Cafe Stella, Max’s, Madame Lu, Chicken Ranch, Chuck’s (I used to be dragged there as a kid about 30 years ago), Panera, Panda Express, Habit, Fresco, Saigon, McDonald’s, Plaza Deli (pickles, chips, and SODAS!), Pizza Guru, Pizza Mizza, Farmer Boy, I could go on and on. Can you be more specific?

• lola says:

Christine all of those places are certainly can be considered by some “family friendly”, but as a parent, for a night out with the kids, I’d like something that has table service and a restaurant where I worry less that my kids are bugging the other patrons. Family friendly, to mean, also means to me budget friendly, and for a family with a child or two or three, it certainly adds up quickly. Family Friendly is also having a menu with a wider variety of foods choices to accommodate different food preferences. So, as there a lot of restaurants in the area, I think this will tick a lot of the boxes I use to define family friendly.

5. Nini says:

I’m not sure I would call Chuck’s Family Friendly. I like to go there because it’s not full of kids running around.

6. Papa John says:

I first ate at the original Islands Restaurant at Pico and Veteran in West L.A. in 1985, a few years after it opened. Great memories and I still stop by the nearest Islands in Newbury Park a few times a year en route to L.A. Would be great to have one in SB!

7. Love Islands – we went to the one in Orange County frequently when we lived there.

8. C. Chase says:

WOOD RANCH would be awesome there in La Cumbre Plaza. Great food! ( BBQ and a lot more). Each one I have been too is always packed with people. There’s one in Camarillo, Ventura and Agoura. It’s family friendly, great for take out, event catering, business lunches/dinners, fun for birthdays and happy hour. Casual dining.

9. Rex Of SB says:

Wow – I just looked Islands up online, and it turns out they not only have a full bar, but it looks surprisingly like a tiki bar! This is EXACTLY what Santa Barbara needs. What’s the point of living in paradise if we can’t have ready access to quality Mai Tais and Piña Coladas along with our burgers?

Bring it on!

10. Terry says:

It’s just like an Apple Bees or TGI Fridays…..LAME!!!

11. Gerald Bostock says:

I’m enjoying the history of Islands on this site, since 2010. (put Islands restaurant into search box)
    I was very disappointed by Lure, so at least Islands is more obvious in its identity.
    (Lure is too family friendly for me to enjoy going for wine or drinks and oysters, and they were not carefully shucked, were very gritty. The drink story was a debacle, not good to have cocktail waitresses who have never had one.) That’s okay. Just not my place.

• Christine says:

Our last trip to Lure was tasty, but they didn’t debeard all the mussels. I thought that was a pretty huge oversight for a place that does seafood.

12. RC says:

AGREED w/ Terry. Islands is another awful prefab OC “themed” nightmare of an establishment that just un-freezes food and draws in all the bro’s you can handle. Don’t think we need that. Might fit in nice at the big shopping center at Storke and Hollister though.

13. Cinnabar says:

Red Robin filled that bill 20 years ago. Kids loved it. Casual and fun in the bar which the parents loved.

14. Angie says:

I vote for a Wood Ranch too!! I love that place and have always wished for one here. I’ve never been to Islands Grill but I welcome anything at La Cumbre that’s affordable to dine at.

15. Pingback: ISLANDS RESTAURANT CONFIRMED FOR LA CUMBRE PLAZA | The Restaurant Guy