R+D KITCHEN COMING TO MONTECITO

R+D Kitchen, an offshoot of the Houston’s restaurant chain, plans to open a location on Coast Village Road, in a new building currently under construction, situated immediately to the left of Jeannine’s Bakery. The property used to be a nursery. I am told that R+D Kitchen has approached several businesses in town offering to purchase their liquor license for $175,000, reportedly a significant premium over the going rate. Here is a message from their web site:

“R+D Kitchen’s mantra is all about crisp, flavorful cuisine. In each of the R+D’s, one can enjoy the light and airy qualities of the space where there is a connection to the outside. The first R+D was established in Newport Beach at Fashion Island and has slowly expanded to four locations including Dallas, Santa Monica, and Yountville in California’s Napa Valley. In the works next: R+D Kitchen in Montecito, CA!”

7 Responses to R+D KITCHEN COMING TO MONTECITO

1. Sandy says:

This won’t work here. There are a lot of people coming from out of the area/state who think they can get a piece of the action in the SB/Montecito area but they don’t really understand what they’re up against. This isn’t Newport Beach or Lido Island or San Francisco.

I don’t wish them anything but good will, but I don’t think they will last more than a year or two, if they manage to open here at all.

2. Jerry says:

I have been to the R&D at Fashion Island in Newport Bch. several times. While pretty good it is not very creative at all. very basic and limited menu. Not a great value either. Maybe this one will have a different concept but the Newport one’s menu is the same all day. 2 or 3 sandwiches, a few salads 3 or 4 entre choices and sides. That’s it. And it has been virtually the same menu choices plus one special for years!

3. Scott says:

Unfamiliar with R+D, but love the other Houston’s restaurant Bandera. Excellent food, no corkage.

4. whisele says:

R+D is one of my favorite!
    It is a good news for me.

5. Sharon says:

I am so excited that an R&D Kitchen is coming to our area. I first discovered R&D while at a conference in Newport Beach. Since then, I have been to the Santa Monica R&D several times. This place with thrive in Santa Barbara…can’t wait!

6. VT says:

It would be nice to be able to get a decent Burger on CVR. And some wine tasting options.