TACOS EL REY OPENS DOWNTOWN

A new Mexican eatery named Tacos El Rey has opened at 5 W. Haley Street, the former home of Magic Pita Café and Greek House Café. I am told that the restaurant menu offers only tacos and that each cost about a dollar. In a previous write-up about this business it was suggested they might also sell burgers but that did not turn out to be true.

Reader Ryan describes his experience this way: “I gotta say, the tacos are fantastic! I got all three meats they were serving that day and a veggie (mushroom) and they were on hit! The salsa bar was tasty as well. They need some interior tables and the ability to take credit cards but those are small things I’m sure they will iron out. I also asked about the menu and they said they are going to keep it simple for now and sell only tacos which I think is great. Focus well on those little beauties and you’ve got yourselves a hit!”

For more information call 963-5758. Thanks to readers Ryan, Brendan and Karl for the tips!

tacos-el-rey

6 Responses to TACOS EL REY OPENS DOWNTOWN

1. Ted Mills says:

And there’s the newish taqueria where Mad Dogs used to be and the one on Los Gallos (that you just mentioned in the neighboring post). Have yet to check any out.

Still waiting for a Korean restaurant to open…

2. chris says:

That actually made it through the sign review process?

3. Rex Of SB says:

Unbelievable! I swapped out a kitchen window that faces my driveway, and the city made me jump through hoops because the frame showed 2 inches of vinyl, which was completely color- and architecturally correct. But the gaudy, salmon-colored facade of Tacos del Rey is allowed to exist ON DOWNTOWN STATE STREET??? I repeat: unbelievable!

4. David says:

My coworker and I went there and I must say, the tacos were excellent. We actually were in line at Lilly’s taco but the line was too long and it wasn’t moving. Decided to try this place. The chicken and the carnitas were excellent. Oddly enough, I think the tortilla is what makes the taco.

I will say they need to rent a power washer and clean the concrete. It is pretty gross. Even in the photo you can see how bad it looks. What is strange is on Friday, it had the same stain/wet spot that is in the photo above, which was taken earlier in the week. Again, great tacos.

5. JP says:

I went today and they were closed. Boo. Wanted tacos.

6. Linda cowen says:

Please find out why it is closed?? It was fantastic! Best mini tacos ever! I am craving more????