GOLETA HOLDREN’S TO CLOSE SUNDAY

Exactly 5 years ago the Holdren family boldly launched two restaurants simultaneously in Camino Real Marketplace: Pastavino and Holdren’s. In August 2010 the Goleta Holdren’s was renamed Holdren’s Grill. In August 2013 the Holdren family closed Pastavino and, a month later, replaced it with Smoke N Barrel BBQ Shack. In April 2014 Smoke N Barrel closed and this week the Holdren family has announced that Holdren’s Grill in Goleta will close on June 1st. I am told that the other two Holdren’s, in Santa Barbara and Newbury Park, will continue to operate. Thanks to reader Julie for the tip.

holdrens

6 Responses to GOLETA HOLDREN’S TO CLOSE SUNDAY

1. Fay says:

As much as I hate to loose another Goleta dining option, all I can say is buh-bye.

2. Jennifer says:

That’s a bummer… Holdrens was a nice place to go for lunch… One of the few places around with decent salads.

3. LM says:

I agree that Holdren’s was a good lunch place. The steak sandwich was really great, also. I feel especially badly for all of the employees who will now be out of a job. That is very saad.

4. Jen says:

I hope something good takes over. Pastavino and Holdrens both had beautiful patios that were nice to sit at on both warm and cool days. They were also great happy hour spots.

5. Barbara says:

I would like to get a good restaurant at that location. One with good food and good service. I wish restaurants would realize that you want to be greeted and seated promptly, order taken promptly, and checked back on after the food is delivered. If servers would spend more time with the customers and less hiding in the back they would get better tips.

6. Natale says:

You need more than a nice patio and a great happy hour to survive as a restaurant, especially if you are aiming at “fine dining” like Holdren’s Grill was. You could get better Italian food at Presto Pasta then at Pastovino, the short-lived BBQ place was doomed from the start, and Holdren’s Grill, when first starting out was a nice dining experience, it went downhill fast with poor quality meat served by poorly trained wait staff. Dinner there became a hit-or-miss experience, and too often a miss. It started to improve when they brought in the new chef recently, but I think too many customers were so turned-off they quit eating there. Oh well, we’ll see what opens there next.