A Smart & Final Extra! is set to open in early 2015 as part of Goleta’s new Hollister Village Plaza, on the north side of Camino Real Marketplace. Santa Barbara already has a regular Smart & Final store at 217 E. Gutierrez Street. The “Extra!” version of Smart & Final stores are larger and feature more grocery options, such as a larger meat section or organic offerings.

1. Linda says:

Why would they open there with Costco right across from them?!

• Rex Of SB says:

That’s exactly what I was wondering. Smart & Final is kind of like a mini Costco, without 90% of the merchandise. Costco has more of a selection and lower prices, so who is the audience that S&F is trying to attract? I’d think it would make more sense to put a new S&F somewhere in Santa Barbara’s Northside or downtown Goleta or some other place where it’s actually needed.

• annemarie graber says:

I try three times a week to smart and final to Santa Barbara I wish one in Goleta .I live in IV I buy over $400 every time when I go vending machine company costco has nothing so we need to go to smart and final only place in Santa Barbara .my boss is not paying the gas. goleta is 10 minutes away.

• Jimmy the jem says:

You might be surprised
        But smart and final is way cheaper than Costco on dry food and frozen items including things like bread and milk
        Really excited about this

• annemarie graber says:

when you have vending machines smart and final is the only place you can buy junk food candy soda costco has no candy or soda only Pepsi. Does no Cola .for shopping I need to drive to santa barbara three times a week. I wish Goleta

2. Cris says:

You’re appealing to a lot of students and community members who don’t have costco memberships or that don’t want to deal with costco for a few items. In addition, Extra stores are much closer to grocery stores than they are to a costco in terms of variety and offerings with the added benefit of being a S&F. It’s a good addition to that marketplace and worthy of being an anchor.

3. Charlotte says:

Trader Joe’s would have made more sense.

4. Chad says:

I think this is where Fresh Market should’ve gone – Milpas already has TJ’s and (for now?) Fresh and Easy. I think a regular grocery store would’ve been a better fit there.

5. Jes / UCSB parent says:

Believe me you need this store in Goleta. I live in area where Costco and Smart and Final Extra are 2 miles far from each other. I love shopping in both stores. Both stores are equally busy.
    Smart and Final Extra is very different from regular Smart and Final stores. More verities, frequent sales, you don’t need a membership. Hours 7 am to 11 pm on regular business days which will give you more flexibility for your shopping time. Once you shop there you won’t drop it.
    UCSB parent.

6. David says:

“With Haggens closing and our only choices are Albertsons and Costco, we need something else. The college students need a job also. not all of them have rich parents. They still need full time workers too. How does this hurt anything except help the ones who need an alternative and those who need work?

7. Christine says:

I’d forgotten this post from last year. I guess that’s why S&F is in talks to buy the Haggen space in 5 Points and put another “Extra!” there? Interesting.