ELEPHANT BAR UPDATE

I recently wrote that the city of Santa Barbara has been unable to find a new tenant for their empty Elephant Bar property. Noozhawk has posted a story with more details.

25 Responses to ELEPHANT BAR UPDATE

1. Christine says:

I wonder why the owners only want a large national chain?

Well, can I vote for Applebee’s or TGI Fridays?

2. Rex Of SB says:

Dickie’s Barbecue!! The old E Bar is the perfect site for a BBQ restaurant.

• David says:

Dickie’s BBQ is a Texas based restaurant with every single location based in … Texas. Do you have any other recommendations? How about Bojangles’ Famous Chicken n’ Biscuits? Or Whataburger?

• Scott says:

Dickie’s is all over California with Ventura being the closest location. Sadly it’s not that spectacular.

• Rex Of SB says:

You’re right, Dickie’s isn’t spectacular–but it beats any excuse for barbecue restaurants that we have anywhere in the South County. That location would be great for a honkytonk country & western BBQ dance hall kind of thing. Hell, I’d go!

3. Bernie says:

A country bar/restaurant would be ideal! All that room is begging for a dance floor.

4. DN says:

The Cheescake Factory would be perfect for that large space. Or even WoodRanch.

• mike says:

Not bad. The price point on both of these are what makes sense to the location to me. They both tend to be larger establishments than a lot being thrown around.

Maybe they can drop the lease price to tease in more people.

The themed ones would work like Joe’s Crab Shack. Or they can do the combo Olive Garden/Red Lobster, there and the former Sizzler’s? An Aviator themed one or Old Spaghetti Factory type place?

7. Don says:

Would love Old Spaghetti Factory!

8. Jonathan says:

What about having two restaurants in the same location? It would give airport patrons a little more choice, while lowering the barrier for a restaurant to come in.

• Dude says:

Unless they wanted to build a secondary kitchen that would mean sharing a kitchen and we all know how that idea has worked out for Holdren’s in the market place.

9. PETE says:

Maybe Bill Foley would know what to do with it! It would make a nice fly in for all 22+ Foley wines, plus great food and entertainment.

10. Chuck says:

Fuddruckers! The best hamburger I ever had in my life (I’m 74) was at a Fuddrucker’s in Texas. Huge and rare (I asked for it). The one in Sherman Oaks won’t make them as rare as Texas. And the buns… the cheese….

And I dream on…. :)

11. Charlotte says:

Lure seafood restaurant (Ventura) would kill it in that space. I can dream of a fabulous restaurant in Goleta…pipe dream.

• Rex Of SB says:

The problem is, we’ve already got seafood restaurants up the wazoo, but no decent barbecue places at all. I think we deserve at least one.

• DN says:

This was in John’s blog last year. I hope this is true! I love Lure, as well. I’m guessing the location would be where Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse was located at the La Cumbre Shopping Mall?

LURE FISH HOUSE COMING TO TOWN?
      Thursday, August 15, 2013
      This just in from reader Nancy:

“Hi John, We just ate at Lure Fish House at 60 California St in Ventura today, and it has fantastic food, gorgeous decor and ambiance, super friendly staff, great prices, extensive drink menu, excellent coffee, etc. I asked the waitress if they are coming to Santa Barbara, per chance, and she said yes! She seemed to think it will be on upper State near a department store.”

• DN says:

As far as a good BBQ restaurant, besides WoodRanch, another good option (which I would probably prefer over WoodRanch), would be Lucille’s Smokehouse BBQ which are located all over California. The nearest one to us is in Valencia. Been there twice & both times the husband & I had EXCELLENT meals. My mouth is watering just thinking about it & it’s only 10am….: )

12. Charlotte says:

Hit or miss Seafood and $$$. Lure is excellent and affordable.

13. Leah says:

If I were to go with a chain restaurant, I bet CPK would do very well there…

• Christine says:

Meh. We’ve already got a CPK in Paseo Nuevo. Let’s think outside the box and get something NEW to this local area in there. As for “no bbq in SB” guess you don’t frequent Georgia’s trucks… you’re missing out. GREAT bbq from Alissa and Brian and crew.

• Rex Of SB says:

I’m sure Georgia’s is great, but I’m not in the habit of determining precisely what hour(s) a food truck will be at a commercial location each week and then planning my eating experience around it. Comparing Georgia’s to a restaurant is apples to oranges. While I’ve heard nothing but raves about Georgia’s, it’s still a food truck and not a sit-down restaurant, of which there is not a single decent one on the entire South Coast.

Killer B BBQ was pretty good last time I went many moons ago. Georgia’s is the bomb though. With Holdren’s closing it will be interesting what goes in there now, is that the olive garden+red lobster pair?