HAROLD’S CARIBBEAN KITCHEN OPENS

This just in from reader Jaya:

Hi,

I wanted to inform John, The Restaurant Guy, about a new Caribbean style restaurant that opened. Chef Harold Welch of World Cuisine Express opened Harold’s Caribbean Kitchen. He is operating out of Tony Ray’s place in De la Guerra plaza. He is serving lunch and dinner 11:30-1:30 p.m. and 5:00-8:00 p.m. Closed Sundays.

Here is the link to the menu. Would love if you could spread the word.

Thanks!
Jaya

7 Responses to HAROLD’S CARIBBEAN KITCHEN OPENS

1. mike says:

Suprisingly reasonable prices. It also looks like it will be ineteresting to try.

2. ted says:

Hey!! Finally a place with decent prices. I am so down to get some jerk chicken.

3. Gerald Bostock says:

an opportunity to try ackee & salt fish and curried goat? oxtails on the regular menu?! Cool!

4. Ice Man says:

Harold is a dynamite chef!! Can’t wait to sample!!

5. JP says:

Nice guy, makes strange combinations. Used to be a line cook at Cottage Hospital years ago.

6. Hannah says:

After seeing the post about Harold’s on Restaurant Guy, my husband and I called to ask about vegetarian offerings at dinnertime. Though many of the lunch items looked vegetarian-friendly, I didn’t see much on the dinner menu. Harold, who answered the phone, unhesitatingly invited us over and promised to make us something great even if it wasn’t on the menu. We took him up on it, and what ensued was a marvelously multi-cultural experience — and oh yeah — a great dinner. When we first arrived, we realized that the Tony Ray’s patio is also rented out to a Hookah vendor, so various parties partaking in flavored Hookahs were scattered around. We also saw Tony Ray cruising through, serving bar drinks, and several groups arrived to taste Harold’s cuisine as well. A musician was setting up for her set, but we left before the music started. It was a festive but relaxed atmosphere (Ahmed, the Hookah vendor, even let my husband sample the green apple pipe). Harold served us in three courses: hummus with Jamaican jerk spice paste and chips; fried plantain with a rum yogurt dipping sauce; and a grilled vegetable plate with coconut rice and beans. Even Harold’s water was extraordinary, flavored with mint, cucumber, and lemon (I wanted more!!). Everything was tasty, fresh, and satisfying, but my favorite was the hummus with spice paste on top. Um…or maybe it was the plantains…or the coconut rice. Our thanks to Harold, an amazingly nice and accommodating man, for a special experience.

7. Brendan says:

I tried it out at lunch. At high noon as other places are in the middle of a lunch rush, Tony Ray’s was a ghost town. I was the only customer. Chef Harold was friendly. Jerk pork and beans were spicy and flavorful, although the bread and “salad” (just a couple pieces of lettuce and a couple slices of tomato) didn’t seem very high quality. A very generous portion size, though, for only $6. I would go again! Hope the venture succeeds, this is a kind of cuisine we don’t see much around here. Harold’s Caribbean Kitchen should be added to the guide!