- Cathy on SHALHOOB PATIO UPDATE
- Mark on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- Allan on CORAZON COCINA OPENING IN MONTECITO
- Christine! on CORAZON COCINA OPENING IN MONTECITO
- Daniel on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- Daniel on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- Roberto on DOWNTOWN PANERA BREAD CLOSES
- Joan Warner on SHALHOOB PATIO UPDATE
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- Stella Mare's - Enjoy cocktails, wine and casual French Country cuisine in a unique and charming location overlooking the Bird Refuge.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: May 2014
A job listing for a new eatery opening in Santa Barbara has appeared on Craig’s List. It reads: “Jordan’s Bar & Grill is opening a new restaurant in the area. We are currently interviewing for a host/hostess and a server … Continue reading
The Foodbank of Santa Barbara County has announced the inaugural Santa Barbara Fork & Cork Classic taking place Sunday, June 1st from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., at the Montecito Country Club, 920 Summit Road in Montecito. “Having been extensively … Continue reading
Reader Gary discusses the future of restaurants in Goleta: John, With all the restaurants sitting or about to be empty in Goleta: [Sizzler, Elephant Bar, Holdren’s, Smoke N Barrel BBQ Shack, Natural Cafe (soon from Old Town), Takenoya, Cafe Zoma, … Continue reading
In partnership with Edible Santa Barbara and The Julia Child Foundation for Gastronomy and the Culinary Arts, Bacara Resort & Spa has announced the Santa Barbara Food & Wine Weekend at Bacara from June 6-8, 2014. The three-day event will … Continue reading
Last week I announced that The Natural Café is opening soon in Camino Real Marketplace next to Hollister Brewing Company, in a space formerly occupied by a Hallmark store. Since then several readers asked me if The Natural Café in … Continue reading
Exactly 5 years ago the Holdren family boldly launched two restaurants simultaneously in Camino Real Marketplace: Pastavino and Holdren’s. In August 2010 the Goleta Holdren’s was renamed Holdren’s Grill. In August 2013 the Holdren family closed Pastavino and, a month later, … Continue reading
If you can help reader Richard please leave a message in the blog. John, I need your help. I have a fully-equipped restaurant, formerly Carrows, in Lompoc. I want to sell the entire contents, and I mean everything. Someone could … Continue reading
You heard it here first: a new The Natural Café is opening in Goleta. The address will be 6990 Marketplace Drive, next to Hollister Brewing Company, in the former home of a Hallmark store. The Natural Café currently has South … Continue reading
Starting in July the former Holiday Inn at 5650 Calle Real in Goleta will be rebranded as “The Goodland” and run by Kimpton Hotels, which also owns Canary Hotel in downtown Santa Barbara. Reader Cris let me know that the … Continue reading
I recently wrote that the city of Santa Barbara has been unable to find a new tenant for their empty Elephant Bar property. Noozhawk has posted a story with more details.
A Smart & Final Extra! is set to open in early 2015 as part of Goleta’s new Hollister Village Plaza, on the north side of Camino Real Marketplace. Santa Barbara already has a regular Smart & Final store at 217 … Continue reading
Reader Marianne let me know that a healthy take-out eatery named “Market” will be open for business through May 24th, from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. at 1024 Coast Village Road.
Life lesson #862: don’t put a cover (similar to a giant sock) on an outdoor space heater that is not bolted down because it will allow the wind to push it over.
Michael and Kathryn Graham have launched the new café section of their popular C’est Cheese store at 825 Santa Barbara Street which opened in 2003. Michael Graham tells me that they will be taking all the raw ingredients at their … Continue reading
Jersey Mike’s Subs, known for its fresh sliced/fresh grilled subs, opens at 1213 State Street on May 21, in the former home of Quizno’s Subs. They opened a location in Goleta in March, 2012. Started in 1956, Jersey Mike’s now … Continue reading
If you can help reader Whirl please leave a message in the blog. John, have you ever considered adding a link for restaurants with air conditioning? Restaurants, have you ever considered providing John with the information for that list? Thanks, … Continue reading
A new restaurant named Barbareño, offering “Central Coast cuisine,” is coming soon to 205 W. Canon Perdido Street, the former home of D’Vine Café which closed recently after 10 years in business. Barbareño will be led by chef/co-owner Julian Martinez, … Continue reading
A new café named Boochies is coming to 113 W. De la Guerra Street, the former home of Bella Dolce Bakery and Saffron. Owner Rebekah Winquest, a nutritionist who will be running the restaurant with her husband Shawn, tells me … Continue reading
Last night The Restaurant Gal and I waited tables at Pascucci restaurant (729 State St.) along with dozens of other volunteers and hard-working (and hard-playing) cooks, to help raise funds for the Solstice Parade. 100% of each bill, including tips, … Continue reading
Want to escape the South Coast heat today? Go to Death Valley where it is forecast to be colder than Santa Barbara.
Reader Brendan tells me that Mad Dogs at 505 State Street, which opened in September 2006, has been put to sleep and that the former hotdog hangout has been replaced by “Ana’s Taco Bar.”
Reader Eric tells me that JuiceWell and Crazy Good Bread, that opened last year in a shared space in Montecito, have both closed. I’m told that their Santa Barbara Public Market and Carpinteria locations are still open. As for why … Continue reading
Reader David let me know that on Saturday, May 10th, Jill’s Place at 632 Santa Barbara Street reopened after having closed from a fire exactly one year ago to the day. They are only open for breakfast and lunch right … Continue reading
The Restaurant Gal and I recently enjoyed a fine meal at Fresco Cafe (3987 State Street) with retiring local astronomer Fred Marschak and his wife Nancy, who are moving to Pennsylvania soon. Fred has been teaching astronomy and science at … Continue reading
Geek Alert: While at Costco today I found out that, for the next 3 weeks, they are offering a $2/cartridge discount off of all printer ink cartridge refills. It’s not advertised.
Word on the street is that Elements Restaurant might return to Santa Barbara, to its former long-time home at 129 E. Anapamu Street, currently occupied by Piano Gastrolounge. As always, this rumor might be completely false or a brilliant forecast … Continue reading
I ran into Mr. Santa Barbara (a.k.a. Larry Crandell) at a party recently and he showed me his solid metal “McGold Card.” It reads: “The McGold Card. This card entitles Larry Crandell free food for himself for life at any … Continue reading
Share your Mother’s Day restaurant suggestions by leaving a comment in the blog here.
A day-long Dine Out event will be held Tuesday, June 24th to support CADA’s youth programs. Residents are invited dine at their favorite participating restaurant and a percentage of proceeds will go to support CADA Kids. CADA Kids represent the … Continue reading