SMOKE N BARREL CLOSES

Readers “Mister P” and “Black CA Guy” tell me that Smoke N Barrel BBQ Shack at 6920 Marketplace Drive in Goleta has closed after 7 months in business. I stopped by and saw a sign on the door that read “Closed for business. Thank you to our customers that supported us.”

13 Responses to SMOKE N BARREL CLOSES

Short lived. Wonder what will go there now.

• mike guthrie says:

I wonder how it lasted that long?

• Peter says:

I think a nice coffee shop would do well. Something that gives Goletians an alternative to Starbucks. Starbucks is often packed in the evenings and the internet is super slow. Zizzo’s is across the street, but it’s small and closes early (around 6 I believe). Something with nice couches, space to meet with friends and colleagues, high speed internet, etc. They can serve some light meals or pastries since they share a kitchen with Holdren’s Grill next door. Or make it something more along the lines of WorkZones (which is downtown) since I don’t think there is anything like that here in Goleta. I’d love to have a convenient place to go to get away from my home office and do some work.

A good breakfast place may do well too.

2. RexOfSB says:

Sooprise, sooprise, sooprise!

3. Jen C. says:

Well, I saw that one coming! (I know, I know…everyone else did too!) With all the businesses in the area, they need a good option for lunch. (Sorry Peter, but not another coffee place).

4. Charlotte says:

Finally! Holdren’s next door should not be far behind.

5. Cris says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but does this location still shares the same kitchen as Holdrens? That’s what Pastovino did. If that’s the case it certainly makes it difficult to open a whole new restaurant.

• John Dickson says:

Yes, both spaces share a kitchen.

• RexOfSB says:

Well in that case, doesn’t it follow that any restaurant that goes in there would automatically be an adjunct of Holdren’s? That makes no sense at all. How did that entire thing get past the zoning department in the first place?

6. Hugh says:

The building was originally one restaurant. Chevy’s if I recall correctly. I thought it was pretty good. I liked Smoke and Barrel too so I’ll miss it.

7. Charlotte says:

I forgot that it once was Chevy’s. One of the worst restaurants on the planet. Well at least they’re consistent. I just don’t understand why Goleta is cursed with crappy restaurants.

8. Danny says:

Ger rid of the whole Holderns/whatever and put in something good. Holdern’s started of great but has went drastically down hill…

Maybe the brophys people can buy it….they seem to be acquiring a lot :)

Hell another chain would be better then Holderns if it was at least consistent.