PATXI’S PIZZA OPENING DOWNTOWN

patxiReader David let me know that Patxi’s Pizza, specializing in a deep dish style, is coming to 515 State Street, formerly a “The Territory Ahead” retail store.

Add to that Barbarians Pizza (511 State Street) and Uncle Rocco’s N.Y. Pizza (427 State Street), and you have 3 pizza options within a block’s walk on the same side of the street.

Patxi’s (pronounced “Pah-Cheese”) began in the summer of 2004 in Palo Alto when a pizza lover and entrepreneur Bill Freeman, partnered with friend and expert pizza maker, Francisco “Patxi” Azpiroz.

“My first job was as a dishwasher at a pizza place called Zachary’s in San Francisco,” recalls Azpiroz. “I worked my way up from dishwasher all the way through to a senior manager and learned just about everything there was to know about pizza including deep-dish.”

The pair have since added locations in the Bay Area, Seattle and Denver, and now have Santa Barbara in their sights. For more information visit patxispizza.com.

12 Responses to PATXI’S PIZZA OPENING DOWNTOWN

1. Jerry says:

The food on their website looks really good. 3 pizza places that close together plus all the other ones not much farther away. May the best pizza win. Someone is going down. I can’t believe their is enough business for all of them to prosper. hey but that’s competition! Wish them well. I love pizza so……

2. chris says:

…and don’t forget Nardonne’s just around the corner

3. lemonjelly says:

Oh! I’ve been a fan of Patxi’s in SF for a couple years now when I need the deep dish treat. One slice goes a long way.

4. poopsy says:

this is awesome news! there is only like 4 deep dish places in all of california
    3 up north (old chicago, zachary’s, patxis)
    1 in LA echo park (masa)
    this place will blow out at least 2 pizza joints on state. thats how good it is. trust me. they wouldnt franchise and prosper if it wasnt any good.

5. cee says:

Always happy to have another good pizza place, especially since Deano’s closed. Just wish one of these great places would move to the Mesa… BTW, I’m already a BIG fan of Nardonne’s pizza around the corner on Ortega St.

6. Connie Milano says:

Gino’s 18 years and going strong…bring it on

7. Nick says:

If its a good product, I will look forward to it and will buy it and return as I did for years and years at Deanos on the Mesa! I hope it doesn’t disappoint!

8. Thank you for those kind words! We’re very excited to join the neighborhood and can’t wait to see everyone!

9. Josh says:

Zachary’s are all in the East Bay, not SF. Nothing will ever compare to a slice of Zachary’s deep dish spinach and mushroom.

10. Bernie Baggs says:

There’s a handful of Chicago style deep dish joints in the Bay Area that are as close as you can get to the real thing on the west coast. Patxi’s is one of them. Santa Barbara, we just hit the jackpot!

11. Crystal says:

So excited! I go to school in Palo Alto and introduced my family to Patxi’s and they’re so glad they’ll be able to get it more than twice a year! Go for the Matt Cain deep dish!

12. Berkeley Local says:

Actually, the Zachary’s Pizza referenced in the article at which Patxi worked is an iconic and well known deep dish pizzeria in Berkeley–not SF as he suggests above–and it should get all credit for being the “expert pizza maker” as Patxi himself merely stole their recipe and trade secrets to commercialize and brand their pizza as his own. Successfully so no doubt given that Patxi’s has sold their controlling interest to a large private equity group that is in the process of mass expansion bringing State Street a cookie cutter chain restaurant.