MARKET MERGER

Safeway, Vons and Albertsons are merging in a $9.4 billion dollar deal.

17 Responses to MARKET MERGER

1. Spank says:

Expect 1/2 of the stores in town to close due to antitrust laws… I’m not stoked on this…

Too bad for the workers out of jobs.

3. Dude says:

Safeway bought Vons awhile back. Now the company who owns Alberson’s is buying Safeway and in turn Vons. I highly doubt that all these stores are goning to start closing. More then likly they will change names like when safeway on Victoria turned into Vons. Or when CVS bought Long’s Drug and they turned into CVS. Or even when Thrifty’s turned into Rite Aid after they bought them.

4. Spank says:

Dude that doesn’t work in this case as two albertsons are right across the street from a Vons in this town. There were also issues previously when albertsons bought Lucky’s and the number on stores they were allowed to have within certain distances. Stores will be closed, jobs will be lost.

5. Kay Lee says:

I prefer Vons (same company as Safeway) over Albertsons so I hope after the merger the remaining stores are at the better quality (Vons) level not the worse (Albertsons) level.

6. RexOfSB says:

I prefer Albertsons over Vons (same company as Safeway) so I hope after the merger the remaining stores are at the better quality (Albertsons) level not the worse (Vons) level.

7. Cris says:

Vons Pavilions are far better than Albertsons, so I’m hoping they stick around.

8. Michael G. says:

Grocery stores are kind of a hobby for me. I live in Summerland and used to frequent the Vons in Montecito, but recently started going to the Albertsons in Carp. It is vast, with floral, pharmacy, deli, sushi sub-contractor, etc. The parking is so much easier than the cramped lots in Montecito. For everything-but-the-kitchen-sink shopping, try the ‘Bertsons in Carp.

• Kay Lee says:

I agree that the Albertsons in Carp is the queen of all of the local ones. I live in West Goleta so it’s too far for me to reasonably shop there. The Pacific Oaks Albertsons near me is the polar opposite. I only shop there when absolutely necessary.

I think there are some older Vons and some “remodeled” ones that are really nice, for instance the Fairview Vons more than trumps the Albertsons near it as it was completely redone. Be interesting if anything stays or goes. As long as they are all profitable you would think they’d stay

10. nom nomer says:

Maybe this means a TJs or Fresh market will move in on upper state???

11. RexOfSB says:

If any of the local Vons/Albertsons close, it might be nice to see a Stater Bros. come into the area to provide a little competition.

12. Chaz says:

Give me Gelson’s deli, soup counter and carving board station and Von’s Fairview for everything else.