QUESTION OF THE DAY

If you can help reader Matt please leave a message in the blog.

John-

My name is Matt and I’m doing some research for my boss regarding previous restaurants at our address.  I’m aware of a few including Calypso and Banana Reef at 514 state.  You wouldn’t happen to know about any other restaurants or businesses at 514 state st.?  I wanted to put together a “fun facts” about Sandbar and you were the first person I thought of that might know about this.  Please let me know if you can help me in any way.

Thank you for your time and I love reading your column each week.

Thanks John

*Matt Jory***
Sandbar Cocina y Tequila

10 Responses to QUESTION OF THE DAY

1. Art says:

I was thinking maybe the santa barbara bowl (bowling ally). The old Joe’s is where Holdren’s is now

2. Scott says:

Calypso used to have 2-for-1 drinks before 10pm which was great for a college kid. I can’t remember going out on State Street in the 90s without starting the night at Calypso.

• Rob says:

Haha yep, that was where we started every Thursday night. I remember having a few at our place in IV first then I’d just leave with $20 and my ID. I could get 4 drinks for $10 at Calypso, and then with the rest of my $10 I could get another couple drinks elsewhere. Plus someone was always buying shots for the group.

That was the only good thing about Calypso, otherwise I was not a fan.

3. karl says:

we used to call it the “gold” room of joes cafe. i think it was because the walls were painted a gold color. it was actually an additional dining room of the original joes. the access was between the cook’s and the bar. i remember it being this from at least 1982, until joe’s moved in 1984/85.

4. Eryn Eckert says:

Back in the early 90′s it was the “Ketch”.

5. Gerald Bostock says:

This might help; though it’s sorted by year.