- Charlotte on SANTA BARBARA-STYLE
- Justine on SANTA BARBARA-STYLE
- Glenn on THE NUGGET OPENS IN CARPINTERIA
- Glenn on SAMS 2 CLOSE
- Eric on SANTA BARBARA-STYLE
- Dan F on POLL: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CLOSED RESTAURANT?
- Dan Futoran on POLL: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CLOSED RESTAURANT?
- Dan Futoran on FAVORITE CLOSED RESTAURANTS
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: March 2014
This just in from Pierre Lafond: Hi, I just wanted to give you the heads up that we are opening our new tasting room for Lafond Winery in the next two weeks. It is adjacent to its sister winery, Santa … Continue reading
Santa Barbara’s only Brazilian restaurant, Brasil Arts Cafe, 1230 State Street, is celebrating its 1 year anniversary with free capoeira and dance classes, free food samples and samba at its “Customer Appreciation Day” this Saturday, March 29th, from 9am-5pm. To … Continue reading
Today Taco Bell launched their new breakfast option nationwide. Here is the full press release: The Waffle Taco and A.M. Crunchwrap Will Go Nationwide as Part of the Largest Menu Expansion in Taco Bell History IRVINE, Calif., – Taco Bell … Continue reading
Matthew Jameson-Chrestenson, owner of Union Ale Brewing Co., 214 State Street and American Ale, 14 East Cota Street, contacted me on Facebook recently to send me a tip, or should I say “tri tip.” This summer he will be opening … Continue reading
After intense concentration and a wave of my hand over the all-knowing crystal ball, my eatery oracle has revealed a list of locations appearing in your future: Anacapa Seafood raw bar, 38 W. Victoria St. Beach Bowls, 901 Linden Ave., … Continue reading
Reader Carla let me know that the folks at Edhat are discussing the recent sighting of cleanup crews at the former home of Elephant Bar. One commenter says “I heard from some of the folks working on the site that … Continue reading
Reader DeeDee let me know that Starbucks plans to turn some of its cafes into a destination for beer and wine in the evenings. The coffee company says it is looking to expand alcohol sales to thousands of select stores … Continue reading
Tara Hamilton, organic farmer and owner of Organic Fresno launched a murder mystery Dinner Theater on February 14. It is performed at the Veterans Memorial Building, 112 West Cabrillo Boulevard Dinner. Show and drinks are $49 or $65 per person … Continue reading
If you can help reader Missazn please leave a message in the blog. Hi, I was wondering if you, or any one of your followers, know of a bakery in town that sells cronuts. Thanks.
A rumor circulating around town, that periodically whizzes past my window up here in the Santa Barbara Food News Control Tower, suggests that the White family, owners of Boathouse, Casa Blanca, FisHouse, and Santa Barbara Shellfish Co. are considering opening … Continue reading
The Santa Barbara Public Market, part of the Alma del Pueblo mixed-use building that will house both condos and merchants, is expected to open in April at the intersection of Victoria and Chapala, in the location formerly occupied by Vons.
If you can help reader Robert please leave a message in the blog. Hi John, Can you recommend any restaurants in town that serve no-salt/low-salt dishes? Thanks, Robert
Reader Paul let me know that Papa John’s Pizza is coming to 5756 Calle Real in Goleta. The address is immediately next door to Paloma Restaurant and Tequila Bar. A new sign on the door reads: “Coming Soon Papa John’s … Continue reading
Chef Michael Hutchings, from Michael’s Catering, and chef James Sly, owner of Sly’s restaurant in Carpinteria, cooked for Vice President Joe Biden tonight. Actor Charlie Sheen and girlfriend were spotted at Roy restaurant last night.
The legendary Bennett family, owners of Brophy Bros. restaurant and On The Alley at the Santa Barbara harbor, are in escrow to buy Farmer Boy restaurant, an icon in San Roque since 1958, at 3427 State Street. I’m told escrow … Continue reading
If you can help reader Catherine please leave a message in the blog. One would think that The Restaurant Guy should know this, but I actually don’t have a clue. My guess for the entire South Coast is “20,000″ and … Continue reading
Here is a list of local restaurants that have closed in the last year: March 2014: Betos Subs, 731 De La Guerra Plaza; The French Table, 129 E. Anapamu St. (now Piano Gastrolounge); Sunnyside Market & Deli, 436 E. Gutierrez … Continue reading
Reader Bailey let me know that Sunnyside Market & Deli at 436 E. Gutierrez Street has closed. They opened for business in December 2010. Here is a message posted on their web site: To Our Loyal Customers, We would like … Continue reading
Before you had a chance to Snap Chat with your friends about Betos Subs, which had a grand opening on March 6th at 731 De la Guerra Plaza, the restaurant went out of business 9 days later, setting a new … Continue reading
Safeway, Vons and Albertsons are merging in a $9.4 billion dollar deal.
Reader David let me know that Patxi’s Pizza, specializing in a deep dish style, is coming to 515 State Street, formerly a “The Territory Ahead” retail store. Add to that Barbarians Pizza (511 State Street) and Uncle Rocco’s N.Y. Pizza … Continue reading
Olio Crudo Bar has opened at 11 W. Victoria St., Ste. 18. The eatery is brought to you by Olio e Limone Ristorante, located next door. It is the latest addition to the Olio group (which also includes Olio Pizzeria, … Continue reading
Last November The French Table at 129 E Anapamu Street was sold. Last week the new owners closed The French Table and, in its place, opened the Mediterranean restaurant Piano Gastrolounge, with a whole new menu. For more information call 882-0050. … Continue reading
If you can help reader Matt please leave a message in the blog. John- My name is Matt and I’m doing some research for my boss regarding previous restaurants at our address. I’m aware of a few including Calypso and … Continue reading
This message and photo just in from reader Cris: Hi John, A few weeks ago I has said Chicken Ranch [163 N. Fairview Avenue, Goleta] was moving next door. They now have opened with a more spacious layout. -Cris
The Web turns 25 today, being born on March 12, 1989. Thank you Tim Berners-Lee for your great idea. I remember first using the web in 1993, which was about 5 years before Google was born. In 1994 I had … Continue reading
The Foodbank of Santa Barbara County has announced the inaugural Santa Barbara Fork & Cork Classic taking place Sunday, June 1st from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., at the Montecito Country Club, 920 Summit Road in Montecito. “We look forward … Continue reading
I just received this press-release from Silvergreens restaurant: SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – March 11, 2014 – Silvergreens’ new Proteins Greens & Grains menu makes it simple for Santa Barbara diners to enjoy a balanced meal that is packed with bold … Continue reading
Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwiches has opened at 909 Embarcadero del Mar in Isla Vista. The eatery has 1600 locations across 40 states and has opened 200 new locations per year over the last 3 years. I spoke with the manager … Continue reading