EAST BEACH GRILL UPDATE

140220-eastbeachThere is a rumor raging on Edhat that goes like this:

When the City of Santa Barbara renovates the Cabrillo Pavilion on East Beach next year, it plans not to renew the lease of the East Beach Grill, a beloved institution of locals and tourists alike.

Edhatters contacted me and asked if I could get to the truth of the matter so I spoke with Francisco Aguilera, owner of East Beach Grill, Char West and Great Pacific Ice Cream Company.

Aguilera tells me that the story is false and that he has a lease for another 5 years. He says that he loves working with the City of Santa Barbara, that the City loves working with him and that there are no plans to change things. Aguilera says that there are plans to do a multimillion dollar renovation of the Cabrillo Pavilion but this could be years away and that the Coastal Commission has yet to issue a permit.

10 Responses to EAST BEACH GRILL UPDATE

1. Dianne says:

If he could fix Char West it would be greatly appreciated. The original place was great.

2. lisa says:

I still lament at least monthly the day when Char West left upper State.
    Still miss it soooo much!!! Come back???

3. Christine says:

Edhat has long ago become a joke for local news. This post is testament to why I rarely check the “news” at Edhat any longer. Such a shame, it was such a great resource during the fires. I guess that when there isn’t an emergency going on, small-minded people make up fictitious non-news and pass it off as truth to further rile up other small-minded folk. So today, Edhat is simply a waste of time.

4. E says:

Unsubstantiated rumors on edhat? No, that can’t be! -_-

I know some sites plant such stuff for the page clicks or to whip up dwindling interest with the locals. Hope that’s not the case over there, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it were.

5. Paul says:

My favorite Edhat “story” lately was “Where can I find a Zumba at 5pm on the weekdays?” Likely planted by a Zumba franchise owner, or if not just a really lazy person.

6. Liz W says:

I sent edhat a submission to correct and a link to the article, but it did not get posted. The problem with rumors without source be it about a person or business, is the false information becomes “truth”. Bad news always spreads faster then good news.

7. Gerald Bostock says:

Edhat posted John Dickson’s input right away, to update that ridiculous thread. It was a rumor and I agree it was total BS/rumor. I don’t trust any thread there and I was one of those who wrote Mr. Dickson to evaluate the statement.
    And BTW, the Zumba question was about 5 a.m. in the MORNING classes.