BANGKOK PALACE TO MOVE

Reader Erica let me know that Bangkok Palace at 2829 De La Vina Street is planning to close at the end of February and move to a new location. I called the eatery and they confirmed the news and said they hope to reopen in April near Silvergreens restaurant at De la Guerra and Chapala streets.

9 Responses to BANGKOK PALACE TO MOVE

1. k says:

anyone ever eaten there?

• Gary says:

A long time ago. It was OK. Nothing to get too excited about. Best thing I remember about the BP was a typo in their menu which misspelled “crab salad” as “crap salad.” I wish now I’d taken a copy of the menu as a souvenir.

2. Vickie Harvey says:

I live nearby so have been there several times. Always liked their Hot and Sour Soup and Green or Red Curry dish. Not out of this world, but good enough Thai food. I will miss them being in the neighborhood.

I enjoyed it more than the Tap Thai place near it but may be in the minority. It has been there a long time. The Tap Thai may have forced the move possibly. To move down near other Thai places on lower state(Galanga and Zen) maybe not the best move.

4. John says:

I heard that Carrol Plumbing who is next door (and I think owns the building) has chosen to expand and take over the entire building forcing this move.

• Dude says:

Yes I believe they do own the building. That sounds more like it. That’s exactly what they did to Dick’s Barber Shop, that was there when they expanded the last time.

5. James says:

I live nearby and have eaten there since it was the Siam Cafe. It is owned by an extended family and the quality has changed depending on who is in charge of the kitchen over the years. The couple currently running the kitchen do a fine job. I’ve tried various other Thai places in town and have found no reason to leave the neighborhood for Thai food. I am with Glenn in that I prefer it to TAP Thai down the street. I am sorry to see them leave the neighborhood.

6. Justine says:

I only recently tried it, even though I’ve lived just down the street for 7 years, when I found that I had an old Groupon to use there. So far the one thing I LOVE is their crispy spring rolls… i don’t know what’s in them, but they and the plum dipping sauce they come with are addictive. The only other thing I’ve ordered there more than once is the pad thai, which is decent if not extraordinary. I’ll be sure to get plenty of those spring rolls before they close down. I wish them well, but relocating downtown and being up against other Thai restaurants… I’m not sure they’re up to the challenge.

7. cupcakerica says:

My husband lived in Thailand after the Boxing Day tsunami, and he said it’s the most authentic Thai food he’s had since he lived in Chang Mai. The family is so friendly, they know us by name and always greet us with a smile and a hug. I am so sad that after almost 20 years, they’re being forced to move by the new BMOC at Carroll Plumbing. Hope they get the place on DLG and that they develop a great downtown clientele.