NAPOLEON’S MACARONS OPENS

Reader Cathy let me know that a shop by the name of Napoleon’s Macarons has opened in the space where Ben & Jerry’s ice cream used to be at 305 Paseo Nuevo. A quick Wikipedia search reveals that a macaron is “a sweet meringue-based confection made with eggs, icing sugar, granulated sugar, almond powder or ground almond, and food coloring.” The macaron is commonly filled with ganache, buttercream or jam filling sandwiched between two biscuits. Napoleon’s has locations at Americana at Brand in Glendale and at Westfield Topanga Mall in Canoga Park. For more information visit napoleonsmacarons.com.

macaron
Photos by reader Cathy

8 Responses to NAPOLEON’S MACARONS OPENS

1. Lily says:

I should have tried one, but they don’t look like particularly well made macarons from aesthetic point of view.

2. Cathy says:

It was a couple weeks ago that I was there, just a few days after they first opened, and my first thought was that they needed better quality control. There were some macarons in the case that should have been chopped up and given out as samples (deformed, much too small, etc.) But I was intrigued by some of the flavor combinations and pleasantly surprised with how they tasted. I’ll go back for an occasional treat but it’s too expensive to make a habit out of it.

Be interesting to try one. Just read this which you can take for what its worth “In France, McDonald’s sells macarons in their McCafés (sometimes using advertising that likens the shape of a macaron to that of a hamburger).”

4. Charlotte says:

And these hamburger macaroons are very cute indeed. Nothing beats a deep fried cherry pie though! Betcha they don’t sell those in France. Royal with cheese is my favorite ( Pulp Fiction)

5. NC says:

Tried two of them yesterday. Flavors were delicious. Texture was totally off for a macaron–none of the signature merengue crunch, just gooey all the way through. Also, they were out of change in the cash drawer, and out of bags for the macarons (the kid working there tried to send me home with them wrapped in a very un-classy paper napkin, until I insisted they wouldn’t make it home in one piece like that). I’m thinking the place won’t last…

6. David says:

Big fan of macarons here so I went to check them out last week. My friend and I each got two so I tried four flavors. Pretty terrible. I am surprised at how bad they were. The filling has this weird consistency, sort of like what you’d find in a Japanese dessert pastry. Sort of this glutinous texture, like red bean or mochi. Also overly sweet and the flavors tasted artificial like they used artificial extracts rather than real flavorings. I am a big macaron fan and excited about a place opening up but I’ll stick to Renaud’s.

As a side note, Trader Joe’s has French macarons (with like 6 different flavors in a variety pack) in their freezer section. I know what you’re thinking but they are REALLY delicious!