SANTA MONICA SEAFOOD TO OPEN DOWNTOWN

140102-santa-monica-seafood-blogSanta Monica Seafood, founded on the Santa Monica pier in 1939, is planning to open a location in the Santa Barbara Public Market, coming this spring to 34 West Victoria Street. Santa Monica Seafood, in addition to being a large, regional seafood distributor based in Rancho Dominguez, California, has retail locations at 1000 Wilshire Boulevard in Santa Monica and 154 E. 17th Street in Costa Mesa.

The venerable company will offer a selection of fresh fish daily, as well as an assortment of seafood products and a raw bar for market patrons to enjoy for lunch, dinner or anytime. Santa Monica Seafood collaborates with the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Sustainable Seafood Initiative to promote ethical and responsible sourcing of fish.

Other venues coming to the Santa Barbara Public Market include Belcampo Meat Co., Crazy Good Bread Co., Empty Bowl Gourmet Noodle Co., Enjoy Cupcakes, Foragers Pantry, Flagstone Pantry, Green Star Coffee, il Fustino, Oils and Vinegars, JuiceWell, Rori’s Artisanal Creamery, The Kitchen, and The Pasta Shoppe.

For more information about Santa Monica Seafood visit santamonicaseafood.com.

23 Responses to SANTA MONICA SEAFOOD TO OPEN DOWNTOWN

1. Scott says:

Used to frequent the SM location. Good selection, high prices. Reasonably fresh, more fresh than your typical market. Probably on par with Whole Foods.

2. Christine says:

Considering we have the SB Fish Market in the Harbor, I’m a bit bummed to see another out-of-town fish shop open, more competition for our locally owned and operated places.

• shebeest says:

But I (and many many others) can walk or drive to this new place in 5 minutes from my house. What’s more sustainable than that?

• Christine says:

But trucking fish up from LA, where it’s been brought in not only “locally” to LA but also from all over the world, is hardly sustainable, I believe. I prefer to spend my money on fish caught by my neighbors off our local coast.

3. Barbara says:

So, when does this new, upscale SB public market open?

4. Ken Adam says:

The Public Market looks like being a huge foodie destination – the parking lot on Victoria Street may not be big enough…!

5. Charlotte says:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

6. Gerald Bostock says:

Great! I’ve seen their trucks delivering locally. This is a lot closer to me than the harbor. Yes, it’s going to be quite a market.

7. Gerald Bostock says:

And I give them credit, or kudos, or something, for this:

• Christine says:

Whole Foods already does this ranking.

• Matt says:

People actually buy seafood from Whole Foods is SB?

• Gerald Bostock says:

Hey Christine, I was only praising the fact, if true, that they were first in supporting ranking and sustainability. I’ve been using Sea Food Watch for longer than I can remember.
        I agree with buying from locals at the harbor, but I don’t always live my beliefs.

From their website:
        “Fast Facts
        We were the first seafood distributor to enter into a formal partnership with the Monterey Bay Aquarium…”

8. Jim says:

I thought Full of Life Flatbread was also a major anchor for the SB Public Market?

9. Christine! says:

I would figure they would besupied by fishermen- from up and down the coast- they couldn’t be driving it all from Ssnta Monica…interested to know who supplies them

• Thanks for all the comments! We’re celebrating 75 years as a family owned business this year, and we take a lot of pride in our “local” roots! We are also very proud of our recent acquisitions of Central Coast Seafood and the Morro Bay Fish Company which allow us to work directly with area fishermen and suppliers to keep our sourcing as local as possible. In addition to our local offerings, we carry a full line of seafood from around the world, and take great efforts to stay hands-on and connected to all our suppliers, wherever they are from. Our Responsible Sourcing program is one of the best in the industry, and we look forward to sharing those connections with you at the Santa Barbara Public Market!

10. tama says:

was the opening for the Public Market always this spring. seems like we have been talking about this for a while now.

will be interesting to see the price points.

• Bob says:

I can pretty much assure you that the price points for everything will be on the high side of high. Every vendor listed currently is pretty high-end. The question will be if any of it is worth it. Personally I’m super psyched to not have to drive to Los Alamos for Full of Life. Hopefully the market will be a cool place ala Pike Place Market, which I grew up going to, and Chelsea Market in NYC, which is pretty awesome as well, if not a bit too hipsterified.

11. Ben Hyman says:

I have commercially fished the last 17 years and have
    worked in most of the seafood industry as a fisherman and
    distributor…I don’t think that a “family business” is a family
    business anymore when they buy the Morro bay dock and Central Coast
    Seafood(taking over the whole west coast!?) and are worth millions
    and millions of dollars…If any of you want fresh fish/seafood
    without all the middle man mumbo jumbo from a local fisherman that
    started with a teaching credential here in SB. Go to Wild Local
    Seafood Co on Facebook or email me for home delivery or more behind
    the scenes info. …Ben Hyman Captain of the fishing vessel Always
    Grinding…this move is purely for profit by them…I don’t see
    this helping the environment or the local fisherman or
    community.

12. Gravey train says:

Forget these guys , fresh local caught seafood is not what you will be purchasing from these people you will be buying fish most likely imported from Mexico that were most likely harvested by ill means either by net by diving with a spear gun or with dynamite there is little or no regulations imposed to the size or amount or way these fish are garnered even though they have feel good backing from monterey bay aquarium people . Don’t support a monopoly that has no ties to our community or care about the way they get fish . Boycott this market as well as any other that have more than exceeded in making a profit out of a very valuable resource and you will be putting more money in the pockets of the men and women who harvest and care greatly about the resource especially hook and line caught fish. thank you and L A is 100 miles away so your not local .