QUESTON OF THE DAY

If you have an answer to reader Spencer’s question please leave a message in the blog.

John,

I’m looking to buy a bunch of gift cards from a local restaurant to give to clients as holiday gifts.  I know some of the restaurants have been offering discounts on gift certificates for the holidays ($25 gift cert for $20, etc).  Do you have a line on who’s got offers going right now? Where could I find that info without calling all the restaurants individually?  Is there a list floating around somewhere?

Spencer

15 Responses to QUESTON OF THE DAY

1. Bob says:

The Tee-Off/Harry’s have traditionally done a $40 for $50 or $80 for $100 gift certs during the holidays. Not sure if they still are as I haven’t bought one yet this year.

• Rex Of SB says:

Yes, Harry’s/Tee Off has their certificates again this year. I just bought $500 worth for $400–not bad at all. The only caveat is that they can’t be used until Jan. 6 and are only valid through Dec. 31, 2014.

• Bob says:

I think they put those dates on there to encourage quick use. Pretty sure it’s not legal to “expire” gift certs. Regardless, I’ve used over a year old one at The Tee Off (at least twice before) in the past and they never gave the “expiration” any notice, super nice people in there.

• Cris says:

The promotional value is the only thing that can expire. For example, if you bought $500 for $400, the $400 is always valid. The extra $100 promotional portion can expire however. This is what Groupon got in trouble with a few years back.

2. Steve says:

Some that I know of:
    Cafe Stella (gift card deal shown in the “Le Cafe Stella” Android app (not sure if you need to show them the app)).
    California Pizza Kitchen
    Blenders in the Grass

3. J says:

Call Julienne and ask for Justin or Emma. We can talk about deals depending on how many gift cards you are talking about…

4. Sean Ebadi says:

Hi Spencer,

We are offering either a $50 card for $45 or a $100 card for $90 this holiday season at Pizza Mizza. These cards work for Delivery, Dine In, or Take Out. Just send me an email if you are interested or need more info. Happy Holidays! Sean Ebadi, Owner/Operator Pizza Mizza.

Maybe its me but I would appreciate a more generic gift card I could use at many locations instead of just one local one but yes it is good for local business etc. but if either the restaurant or the client leaves the area its wasted money on your part. Quick internet search I see Outback,
    Enterprise Fish, Panera, Chilis, A bit outside the area Red Lobster, Rubios. Maybe just buy them all axxess books?

6. Spencer says:

Thanks for all the responses– I’ve come up with a few also, and I did buy the cards I needed….
    FYI…saw this last night at Enterprise Fish– $15 gift card with every $100 worth of gift cards purchased…..and I think Woody’s is doing $25 gift cards for $20. Costco has 2 $50 cards for California Pizza Kitchen for $79.95, and discounted cards for Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Peet’s Coffee, See’s Candies and Marmalade Cafe.

7. Steve says:

Some others: IHOP, Denny’s.

Fresco Cafe previously had a deal (something like when you add $200, get $30 free), not sure if they still have that.

8. LoFi Girl says:

YES! An Axxess card is a great gift idea! I use mine ALL the time and it was gifted to me, a gift I’ve really appreciated.

9. Jordan says:

At The Harbor Restaurant, Longboard’s Grill, Harry’s Plaza
    Cafe, and the Tee Off we are offering $50 gift certificates for $40
    and $100 for $80. They will be available for purchase until January
    1st and are valid at all locations!

10. Cathy says:

Walking by, I’ve seen an offer at Pascucci for $50 gift cards for $40 cash or $42 credit.

11. RonG says:

Silvergreens, buy $25 get $10 free.