QUESTION OF THE DAY

If you can help reader Mark please leave a message in the blog.

John,

The restaurant Cafe Stella at 3302 McCaw Avenue was originally Harry’s Townhouse. What was it after Harry’s Townhouse?

Thanks,
Mark

11 Responses to QUESTION OF THE DAY

1. Christine says:

Wasn’t it a Mexican restaurant for many years?

2. Sandra says:

Sierras Hacienda?

3. Whirl says:

For a time it was The Jetty, like the ones up north, a seafood restaurant.
    It was an Italian restaurant for a while, I don’t remember the name of that one.
    Eventually Beto’s Cantina moved there from their old spot on the other side of the freeway.

4. Rex Of SB says:

The Italian restaurant was called Rosas (no apostrophe). Also, the correct spelling of the original business was Harry’s Towne House. Besides the Towne House, the Jetty, Rosas and Beto’s Cantina, I think the restaurant has had other incarnations, but for the life of me I can’t remember what they were. Whatever restaurant has occupied that site has always pretty much flown under the radar.

5. John Dickson says:

It was also the home of a catering-only operation in the last 5 or 6 years, don’t remember the name though.

6. Whirl says:

That was Events by Stella Mares. You could hold an event there, but I think you had to have something like 100 people minimum. I don’t think it has changed ownership to be Le Cafe Stella, just concepts, though they do have areas for events. I don’t remember a Rosas, I just can’t seem to remember the name of the Italian restaurant, I think it started with a P. It was a very long time ago.

7. Rex Of SB says:

The Italian restaurant was Rosas, alright–to make sure I’d remembered right I just Googled “Rosas” and “3302 McCaw Avenue” and there it was. Unfortunately, no date was given as to when it was there. There could have also been another Italian restaurant there at some point, I guess. As I say, the restaurants at that site tended to come and go without much fanfare.

8. Jan Timbrook says:

We always called it “the restaurant overlooking the garbage cans of Fazio’s.”

9. Tim O'Neil says:

It was called Rosa’s (with an apostrophe, actually), and it
    was the third restaurant in a series, one in Bakersfield for over
    thirty years, another in Pismo Beach for over twenty, all within
    the same family. I worked there with all of my college buddies from
    the time they opened, 1996, to the time they closed the doors in
    1997 (I believe it was opened less than a year) The old man running
    it, Carmine, was the real deal. His daughter and son-in-law ran it
    with him and were great people. Good food, some decent crowds, but
    we all felt a little cursed in that location. All I’ve got now are
    some awesome stories, including a butcher knife throw between an
    Italian and a Mexican chef. Pure glory. I will say now that it is
    nice to see Stella Mare’s thriving there, despite the odd
    location.

10. VK says:

I thought the place was called Lempisi’s after Harry’s Town
    House.

11. Diane says:

There was also a time it was an Italian place called Paoli’s. Very good.