JIMMY JOHN’S COMING TO SANTA BARBARA

jimmyjohns2Readers Cris and Sygyzy let me know that gourmet sandwich shop Jimmy John’s, founded by Jimmy John Liautaud in 1983 in Charleston, Illinois, has sent out a tweet that they are in the process of opening in Santa Barbara. Though the exact location is unknown I have received a tip about a new deli sign that has appeared downtown that I will check out later today to see if there is a connection. The eatery has 1600 locations across 40 states and has opened 200 new locations per year over the last 3 years. 98% of the locations are franchise-owned. For more information visit jimmyjohns.com.

Update: Jimmy John’s is coming to 909 Embarcadero del Mar in Isla Vista, not Santa Barbara.

29 Responses to JIMMY JOHN’S COMING TO SANTA BARBARA

1. Jen F. says:

The sandwiches on the website look like subway sandwiches, they don’t look gourmet. Just what we need, another mediocre sandwich shop :(

• Lily says:

They are slightly better than Subway. I think most of the appeal is that they are cheap and fast. You are right that its just another mediocre chain sandwich shop. South Coast Deli is still the best in SB.

• Kenzay says:

It’s much better quality than subway it is absolutely delicious and you don’t smell like old lettuce when you come out, trust me it’s 150%better than subway

2. Lisa B. says:

I was thinking the same thing. Is Panino the only place that knows how to be creative with a sandwich? This place looks like same old same old.

• Christine says:

Panino’s not the only place. Try South Coast Deli and 3 Pickles! Yum.

• Christine says:

OH! And the deli in La Cumbre by Pizza Mizza. That place is super creative. “Plaza Deli”

• Milo says:

Panino is overpriced and nothing to write home about.

• shebeest says:

I heartily agree, Milo! I stopped going there ten years ago when I paid ten bucks for a tuna sandwich which had maybe 2 or 3 oz of tuna on it. When I took it back to the counter to politely ask if it possibly was made “wrong”, the girl picked up a bunch of tuna salad with her bare hand and dumped it onto my bread. Disgusting.
        I never heard of this Jimmy John’s, but there’s a reason a successful restaurant turns into a chain, all you chain-haters.

• Lily says:

Jimmy John’s is fast and cheap and Americans love these two qualities even if the taste doesn’t measure up. I don’t get this phobia towards bare hands. Do you refuse to eat sushi made with bare hands? Its much more sanitary to have frequently washed bare hands handling food than a gloved hand that isn’t changed frequently. Chains love gloves because it idiot proof the process and they can show people “look, we handle your food with gloves”. What they don’t show people is that employees forget to change gloves and also touch non food items with their gloved hand.

• shebeest says:

No phobias, here, Lily, although, for the record, no, I don’t eat sushi.
            The Panino employee should have used the SCOOP sitting right there in plain sight. She used her bare hands right in front of me, and threw the tuna in like she was mad at it. That is why I ceased being a regular patron of Panino.

• Bob says:

Panino the only place? You should get out more.

Metropulos, 3 Pickles, South Coast are all excellent. Another sub chain, pffftt.

• Glenn says:

Agree on the price but Panino’s Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich is to die for. In my opinion Three Pickles, South Coast Deli and Panino are the top three in town for a local “chain”. Plaza Deli, Dvine, Country Meat Market, Italian Grocery and others stand out for a single shop. And then on the healthy side Natural Café and Silvergreens stand out.

• Lisa B. says:

As a vegetarian eating at most sandwich places in town, I get stuck with cheese, sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce, and — if I’m really lucky — avocado. Same thing pretty much everywhere if you don’t eat meat. I get out plenty, but nobody is serving what I want: A sandwich that wasn’t invented in a 70s health food store.

At least Panino has heard of cheeses besides cheddar, provolone and swiss, and veggies besides lettuce, cucumber and tomato. I can get tapenade, roasted peppers, stilton, artichoke hearts and plenty of variety…. If someone can point me to another sandwich shop that offers nine vegetarian sandwiches — and none with sprouts — I will gladly give it a try.

• Glenn says:

Oh no beware the wrath of SL now… I guess you need to be more specific. But seriously Silvergreens and Natural Café or other veggie places on this guide you could try(I like Panino!).

• Lisa B. says:

Oops — sorry, Glenn! That reply wasn’t meant for you. Natural Cafe has some okay choices; Silvergreens has exactly one vegetarian sandwich, although at least it’s not “the usual.”

• Thomas says:

Oooh Lisa, I just CAN’T wait until JJ’s has finally hit Santa B !! It’s been such a long time coming, plus for being a sandwich shop, I’ve never been able to be so creative in my life while working for a company! ( And I don’t even work there anymore ). It will be a GREAT addition to downtown Santa Barbara. Take Care. Tommy

3. B says:

the place next to starbucks on de la vina is not for Jimmy John’s

4. Rob says:

Panino, 3 Pickles, and So Coast Deli are the big dogs here in town, this chain with bland mass produced corporate stuff is going to be a fly on the windshield of the SB sandwich scene.

5. B says:

I haven’t been given to okay to blab about it opening there, but when I do, you’ll be the first to know (if you don’t find out first)
    But it is locally owned and months(?) from opening as there is some interior work that needs to be done to the space.

6. Cris says:

I think there was a new ‘Deli Establishment’ sign at the old Territory Ahead location.

7. Ted says:

Support local, don’t eat at chains! (Props to 3 pickles and D’Vine)

8. Judy says:

The sandwiches at the Lucky Penny are really special. Same
    creativity and top-notch ingredients as Lark, since they have the
    same chefs. Reasonably priced – definitely worth a try if you’re in
    the Funk Zone

9. Tom says:

3pickles, Plaza Deli, and the Italian Market, 3 Pickles is
    the only place that makes a REAL Boston type sub

10. Max Rosenberg says:

Jimmy Johns ‘Beach Club’ Turkey sandwich is VERY
    good!

11. Chris Ackler says:

Straight from Jimmy Johns…the new sandwich shop is at 909 Embarcadero del Mar in I.V., not in downtown Santa Barbara.

• Glenn says:

Yeah looks like a facebook validated answer to your question Chris from them. Seems like its next to the pho bistro place, it points to where that atm bank kiosk is from looking at maps. I wonder if they mean the old McMasters across the street at 910?

12. Darren Holmes says:

If trying to support local chains and find a delicious sandwich the search should stop at Silvergreens. All UCSB Grads and very local.