NEW TACO BELL COMING TO GOLETA

Local media including the News-Press and Santa Barbara Independent have reported that the Design Review Board of Goleta have been listening to a proposal from Taco Bell to open a restaurant in the University Plaza shopping center, at the corner of Hollister Avenue and Pacific Oaks Road. The eatery would include indoor and outdoor seating, and a drive-through. Thanks to reader Cris for the tip.

taco-bell
GOLETA GORDITA: Taco Bell is hoping to open a new location on an undeveloped parcel of land near Best Buy in Goleta.

19 Responses to NEW TACO BELL COMING TO GOLETA

1. Charlotte says:

I can’t imagine where in this mall? Drive thru? Hmmm…

There is a lot of unused parking space there. It would be nice for the people on the Goleta west side. The quality of the old town one always seemed poor(broken taco shells, poor seating etc) and the commute to the better north calle real one is hard to get to. I see maybe Cal Taco and New Baja Grill possibly hurting a bit. When you don’t have a lot of time for lunch quality sometimes suffers but at least you’ve got some food. But I think Chipotle still rules the day for the area, fast and good quality. New Baja is slow and their quality not sure about anymore. Cal Taco also has slow issues.

3. Kevin says:

Goleta has become an out of town developers dream as they
    look to grab more tax doe with little regard for mountain views,
    traffic or quality of life in Western Goleta. Sure hope the City of
    Goleta says “No Bueno” to Taco Bell with Drive thru so close to the
    neighborhood. Albertson’s shopping center has several vacant
    locations for a Taco Bell without a drive thru. Proposed location
    is where the big pine tree used to be on the NW corner (Hollister
    & Pacific Oaks) where green open space is now not parking.
    Chipolte is a not a Drive-Thru and seems to please the fast food
    tastes of John Dixon. It will hurt Cal Taco and Baja Grill and the
    other fast food joints already in that shopping center if they get
    a Drive Thru – not fair play. Two new hotels, a huge 279 Unit
    apartment complex and commercial mall under construction across
    from Costco, UCSB’s new student housing on the old driving range
    and more building in the parking lots and grass fields of the two
    10 story student housing building end of Storke Rd. If people want
    Taco Bell fine, just no new building and no way to a drive
    thru.

4. Tom says:

I think there are some errors in the Indy’s report.
    University Village Shopping Center? I think it’s called “The
    Plaza”. And how is a 3-foot wall going to hide the
    building?

5. Topher says:

I don’t see why they just don’t use one of the vacant spots already in the shopping center? And to some commentors saying Baja Fresh will suffer? I don’t even think they have a location in that area anymore. I thought Itsuki replaced them. Traffic in this area is so congested already, and while I live on the Dos Pueblos side of the freeway, I’m definitely not looking forward to more traffic.

• Glenn says:

New Baja Grill serving Mexican next to the Movie theaters. Yes Baja Fresh closed already, I can’t remember if Chipolte opened about the same time and had something to do with it.

6. ER says:

It makes no sense for any new commercial real estate to be built in Goleta – there are so many vacancies, just in the Albertson’s shopping center, that would be a great location for any restaurant (although not with a drive through). We live in the neighborhood, and would likely be frequent customers, but would be sad to see new buildings go up while the (admittedly outdated) space nearby sits empty.

I think it may have been the rent? The coffee shop used to be there. To say it would be great to use existing building you would have to check with the owners of the building first to verify the places are affordable. I agree a Taco Bell would be an eyesore there but if the market wants it it will happen, not everyone is on the keep Goleta small or beautiful campaigns apparently. If they approved a huge hotel with all the traffic, mall etc that will bring then a taco bell is not going to matter.

8. Lily says:

I am not against new development, but why would anyone go to a Taco Bell when Pollofino and Lily’s taco are right in the same neighborhood? I really wish people would stop generating demands for such subpar inedible food.

• Kevin says:

Pollofino, Lily’s, Baja Cafe, Caltaco or Chipotle do not have drive thru’s. These places, in my opinion make much better food, but takes a lot longer to prepare. I think the main reason why people would go to Taco Bell or McD is the because the drive thru is fast, and they do not even have to get out of the car. According to the local McD owner, 80% of his biz at Fairview is from the drive thru, likely the same for Taco Bell. Perhaps the local places would have a better chance to share the biz if Taco Bell did not have a drive thru. I think both McD and Taco Bell know their food is “subpar inedible food” compared to the local joints, but, with a drive thru they have an advantage.

• Kay Lee says:

To each their own, Lily. I do not frequent Taco Bell myself but there are plenty of folks that like it for one reason or another.

I recently overheard some college age people chatting while I was in line at Albertsons. One said, “what I.V. needs is a Taco Bell” and the others agreed. Plenty of college age people live in west Goleta and I am sure they will keep the place busy.

I do agree that it would be better if a currently existing building could become a Taco Bell, with or without a drive through.

Lastly Lily, I do agree that TB food is not wholesome and is borderline nutritious but you can fill up 4 kids in a hurry for 15.00 and the soccer/little league fields are 1 block away. TB can be a lifesaver for a single mom with a full time job and 3 kids while she has the flu and the kids have soccer practice. Maybe she’s busy AND tired AND broke.

• Lily says:

Lily’s taco hasn’t open yet, but once it opens, it will be fast and cheap. Even the Costco food court is a better option than McD or Taco Bell. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that people go to these chains for convenient and cheap food with zero regard to the taste and freshness of the food.

I was born in another country and never had any fast food as a kid. I have zero craving for the taste of McD or Taco Bell, instead I ate lots of dumplings when I was little, and that’s my comfort food that I still crave today. You can give me fine dining, but I will always come back to dumplings because that’s the flavor of the childhood. I think some people here actually do crave the taste of McD or Taco Bell, and that’s why these chains will pop up everywhere you go. If you don’t want to see these places competing with local restaurants and fill up new developments, then don’t go to these chains. Don’t let your kids eat there when they are young and impressionable.

• Glenn says:

Well said. I think the key point is probably the fast nature of it. That’s why I like Chipolte, fast and good. I question Lily’s Tacos success being next to Chipolte. Also not a fan of the original one downtown, more like El Sitio fare, will not be healthy also with all that meat grilled up on the same grill(when I went all I tasted was the grill…)but I will definitely give it another chance when it comes out here.

9. Judy says:

Really sad. More merchandise sold as “food”.

10. Charlotte says:

Three Taco Bells in Goleta?? And a drive-thru on a residetial street no less! What is Goleta thinking? How about something new in town..I’m still praying for a Zankou Chicken to open in Goleta. Crazy good, affordable and fast!

11. Bob says:

The Camino Real Marketplace AREA (where the new Taco Bell is going) is the hub of activity in Goleta and the other Taco Bells are like 5 miles away on Fairview.

12. Christine says:

Goleta seems to be expanding faster than Santa Maria! BOO indeed! :-( Soon there won’t be any open space left!