QUESTION OF THE DAY

If you think you can help reader John please leave a message in the blog.

Hey Restaurant Guy–

Mincemeat pie for Thanksgiving seems to have fallen out of favor with folks, at least that is my impression having surveyed various bakeries in Santa Barbara.  But, maybe I’ve missed the one that does bake it.  Do you know of any bakery that bakes mincemeat pie?  If not, I guess I’ll have to do it myself.

Thanks.
John

9 Responses to QUESTION OF THE DAY

1. Barbara says:

I suggest a review of this article: http://www.jimenezfamilyfarm.com/pies/805_Living_Pie_Perfected_Nov_2012.pdf

At p. 73, there is a list of places that make pies. The only listing “mincemeat” is located in Paso Robles!

2. Cris says:

You might check with Mac’s Fish and Chips. They might be willing to do it for you.

3. We might be able to help. How many? Send me a note.
    Michael Hutchings
    Michael’s Catering and SB Bakeshop

4. PS I have not been asked to cook one for over 10 years.
    Chef

5. Sylvia says:

I’ll read with eager interest any news of mincemeat pie availability. Hard to understand why this delicious item disappeared. Years ago Jurgenson’s on Coast Village Road in Montecito had individual mince and pumpkin pies this time of year.

6. Heidi says:

Where can you buy suet for the mincemeat?

7. Steve says:

Anna’s Bakery used to make them, you might give them a
    call.

• Sylvia says:

Yes, I just called Anna’s Bakery and they will be making mince pie for Thanksgiving and for the Christmas holidays. You can order them, and they also make extra pies to sell in the store.

8. Chaz says:

The Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite will serve Thanksgiving dinner and one of the desserts listed is:

“Super-traditional mince meat pie
    Brandied hard sauce”

Treat yourself to a nice meal in that gorgeous dining room!

I am.