MESA VERDE UPDATE

Reader Dustin stopped by the Mesa Verde, a new cafe coming to 1919 Cliff Drive (formerly Cliff’s & Co.) He spoke with a contractor and was told that the new eatery will be a vegan restaurant.

15 Responses to MESA VERDE UPDATE

1. RexOfSB says:

Oh, swell. I give it six months. It’s a much better site for a Der Wienerschnitzel.

• Liz W says:

Hey Rex. I think it was a Wienerschnitzel back in the day. My selfish preference would be a really good Vietnamese like the Noodle House or Mediterranean, but I wish him well. That building is a total disaster and will take a lot of money to bring it to life.

Hmmm Chili Dog.

3. Jen says:

I can’t wait for this place to open! I heard the restaurateur is the chef of Sage Bistro, a wonderful and delicious vegan restaurant in LA. Either way, SB needs more veg options, and this will be a great addition to Adama, another excellent vegan restaurant downtown.

4. B C. says:

Meh. I’m with Liz W. on this one – Vietnamese Banh Mi & Phò or a good schwarma/gyro type place would be awesome. The problem is that with the money they will have to pour into the place just to open, it will probably end up being another $30 a head Italian place.. Even that would be more likely to be successful than a vegan place. Sorry vegans, there just aren’t enough of you to create a viable market in this town, and the rest of us… well, we just don’t generally eat vegan food when we can have the real thing instead… :-)

5. Emily says:

There is already a great buzz about this place going on in
    the vegetarian community. I’m super stoked to have another vegan
    option in town!

6. FinSb says:

Sure seems like a vegan restaurant will be cutting itself off from a substantial percentage of potential customers…..

• Kevin says:

FinSB:

What, you don’t eat plants? That seems odd …

• Irina B says:

Very excited about this place opening! Really hoping it’s NOT just steamed tofu, etc. We Veggies actually have very high standards in today’s world, non vegetarians are always surprised at the variety of delicious food we eat! Hope everyone gives this place a chance!!

Modern vegetarian and vegan food is actually MUCH more varied and flavorful than people often think! Plus, EVERYONE can eat at a vegan restaurant, no one at the table is left without options (picking at bread and lettuce.) something for everyone!

7. Colly says:

Yes, there is a buzz!! Can hardly wait for some “real” food on the Mesa. I will certainly be a frequent guest.

8. Brandon Bartlette says:

I saw the sign and construction today and was stoked to see a veg/ vegan place going in on the mesa! I’m always wishing there was somewhere to go and fill up on guilt free healthy food. Adama is ok, I don’t find myself going there much though. Hopefully Mesa Verde will help fill this gap!

9. Andrea says:

The UN Department of Agriculture determined back in 2006 that meat consumption was the #1 human contribution of greenhouse gas – more than ALL transportation combined. So, before you hop in your Prius with the “Save the Ocean” bumper sticker on it to go get a burger, or even a “Grass-fed local organic. . . ” think twice. Vegan would be great, but how about even just eating Vegan the majority of the time? Is the taste of meat & cheese really worth our children’s viability on this beautiful planet?