- Gerald Bostock on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- JGP on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- Tony from Goleta on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- Jim on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS AUG 24TH
- John on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- John on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- Mikey on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS
- John Dickson on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS AUG 24TH
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: November 2013
Jimmy John’s gourmet sandwiches has publicly announced that they are coming to “Santa Barbara.” Reader Chris contacted them on Facebook and was told that the address is 909 Embarcadero del Mar in Isla Vista. I guess from corporate headquarters in … Continue reading
Wishing you a happy and blessed Thanksgiving. I’m spending the holiday at my parents’ home in Montecito enjoying our annual feast. We have a 24-pound bird this year. The Restaurant Gal and my mom spent the last 2 days preparing … Continue reading
This just in from Mac’s Fish & Chip Shop, 503 State Street: Hi John, Hope all is well. I was hoping you would kindly pass along the details of our HOLIDAY PIE APPEAL to your very attractive/handsome readers. We aren’t … Continue reading
If you can help reader Millie please leave a message in the blog. Does anybody know where you can find good, hot broth (not cream) based soups in town? I know Little Alex’s carries a great and hot Chicken Soup … Continue reading
Readers Cris and Sygyzy let me know that gourmet sandwich shop Jimmy John’s, founded by Jimmy John Liautaud in 1983 in Charleston, Illinois, has sent out a tweet that they are in the process of opening in Santa Barbara. Though … Continue reading
Reade PrimeTime let me know that a web site called ListChallenges.com includes Freebirds and The Habit (which both started on the South Coast) in their list of “The 25 Greatest Cult Fast Food Chains in America.”
Good Karma Market & Deli at 207 W. Anapamu Street, which stopped being a deli more than a year ago, was taken over by the owners of Presidio Market (1236 Santa Barbara Street) earlier this year. Reader Brendan tells me … Continue reading
Matt and Jeff Nichols, the brothers behind Sides Hardware & Shoes in Los Olivos and until just last year, Brothers at Mattei’s Tavern, have opened Brothers Restaurant at Red Barn. The new eatery is located at 3539 Sagunto Street in … Continue reading
Word on the street is that the Bravo channel was filming at the Chase restaurant (1012 State Street) on Friday, November 22nd. This is not confirmed and I don’t know why Bravo would be there.
If you can help reader Gary please leave a message in the blog. While watching football at the Cliff Room (1828 Cliff Drive) yesterday, I noticed a sign that the place has been sold. I heard a rumor that the … Continue reading
View a list of local restaurants serving a traditional turkey meal on Thanksgiving Day.
Chef Ricardo Zarate and business partner Stephane Bombet, of Chef Zarate Restaurant Group, have opened a Californian-Peruvian restaurant named the Blue Tavern at 119 State Street, the former home of Anchor Woodfire Kitchen which closed in September. Blue Tavern is … Continue reading
This just in from the prospective new owner of the Mesa Cafe: Dear John, Thank you for your always awesome restaurant notes, I really enjoy reading all the food related news. The Mesa Cafe is going to continue to operate … Continue reading
Sources tell me that recently-sold Wahoo’s Fish Taco at 511 State Street is going to close and become a late-night pizza place. I am told that Bill Clayton, owner of nearby Whiskey Richards, is the buyer.
A sign has appeared at the Mesa Cafe & Bar (1972 Cliff Drive) indicating that the business is in the process of being sold. The sign says that the current manager of Mesa Cafe, Ramiro Elizalde, is the prospective new … Continue reading
Reader Brian tells me that Altamirano’s Mexican restaurant at 422 N. Milpas Street has closed. I stopped by and the place was indeed closed and locked during regular business hours. The fact that business no longer answers the phone is … Continue reading
KEYT is reporting that a 7-Eleven is coming to 402 N. Milpas Street, next door to Fresh & Easy Market. The address use to be the home of Fast Lane Oil Change. A 7-Eleven recently opened in Isla Vista.
Reader Harriet tells me that a business named “The Lovin’ Spoonful” is coming in the Mesa Shopping Center, next to Super Cuca’s. Reader Preston says “Lovin’ Oven Mediterranean Bakery & Café” may be opening at 6578 Trigo Road, Isla Vista, … Continue reading
Earlier this year at the Taste of the Nation culinary event in Montecito I spoke with Elaine Morello, co-owner of Olio e Limone Ristorante and Olio Pizzeria at 11 W. Victoria Street. She told me that Olio was planning to … Continue reading
Local television talk show host Ken Boxer published his interview with The Restaurant Guy today. We discuss this food news column, SantaBarbara.com, Accidental Santa and the Five Year Photo guys.
This just in from reader Barbara: Hey John, Following up on the rumor about the sale of Carpinteria’s Foster’s Freeze to Hamburger Habit, turns out it was just a rumor. Heard through the grapevine that it was recently inherited within … Continue reading
Here is a list of local restaurants that have closed in the last year: November 2013: Las Palmeras, 432 E. Haley St.; Rudy’s, 5764 Calle Real, Goleta (now Paloma Restaurant and Tequila Bar) October 2013: Cafe Int’L, 6578 Trigo Rd, … Continue reading
Reader Gabrielle tells me that brothers Matt and Jeff Nichols will be opening their Brothers Restaurant at Red Barn (3539 Sagunto Street, Santa Ynez) for lunch and dinner this Friday, November 22. For more information call 688-4142.
I added Santa Barbara Brewing Company to the list of restaurants serving a traditional turkey meal on Thanksgiving day.
Owner Clay Holdren sent me an update about Holdren’s Grill at Camino Real Marketplace in Goleta: Hey John, I hope all is well with you. I just wanted to let you know that Craig Baldi has taken over as the … Continue reading
A new service called Savor Santa Barbara Food Tours is offering a 2-mile, 3 1/2 hour walking adventure while tasting food, beer and wine, and also exploring some of the local architecture, history and sights of Santa Barbara. All food … Continue reading
Local television talk show host Ken Boxer, who also owns and operates Palazzio (1026 State St.), will be interviewing The Restaurant Guy on Thursday, November 21, 10 p.m. on channel TVSB-17. I am told the interview will also be available … Continue reading
Local media including the News-Press and Santa Barbara Independent have reported that the Design Review Board of Goleta have been listening to a proposal from Taco Bell to open a restaurant in the University Plaza shopping center, at the corner … Continue reading
This just in from Fresh Market, coming to 222 N. Milpas Street, the former home of Scolari’s: THE FRESH MARKET TO OPEN SANTA BARBARA STORE DECEMBER 11 Santa Barbara, Calif. (November 15, 2013) – The Fresh Market, Inc. (NASDAQ: TFM) … Continue reading
On Wednesday, November 20th, from 5-9 p.m., John Palminteri (ubiquitous), John Dixon (Tri-County Produce) and The Restaurant Guy, A.K.A “The Three Johns,” will be bartending at Pascucci restaurant, 729 State Street, to help raise money for the Solstice Parade. Take a … Continue reading