SPEAKING OF ANCHORS

anchor1After 8 months in business Anchor Woodfire Kitchen at 119 State Street closed their doors on September 5th. Reader Karl tells me that the investors behind Anchor will be reopening a restaurant at that location in mid-November with a new name and a new chef. The American cuisine eatery will use fresh produce from the local Farmers Market, will use the wood ovens left over from Anchor and will offer new booths for dining.

UPDATE: Rumor has it that the name of the new restaurant will be “Blue Tavern.”

11 Responses to SPEAKING OF ANCHORS

1. Christine says:

New chef? Boo. Wonder if that’s by his choosing to leave. I enjoyed the food there. I hope they retain the creative bartender. He made wonderfully fresh cocktails.

Glad to hear it will reopen and I’ll give it a shot for sure.

2. Sasha says:

I hope the new chef actually utilizes the wood fired oven properly. The other chef never had it at proper temperature to cook a wood fired pizza. Needs to be over 139 degrees folks.

3. LoFi Girl says:

Hope they serve pizza!!!!

4. robert says:

the new place is Blue Tavern, and it’s “coming soon”.

5. JC says:

Does anyone know if the new restaurant will be honoring gift certificates from Anchor? I had a certificate I never got to use :(

6. EK says:

I also have an un-used gift certificate to Anchor and am
    wondering if the owners of the new place will honor it.

7. Michael G. says:

Generally speaking, CA law requires that a business honor a gift certificate for which value was given- the certificate was paid for, not donated or gifted by the business. The gift certificate should transfer as a balance sheet liability to the selling business owner. In this case, in the event the seller owes vendors a large amount, which it appears to be so, it is very unlikely the gift certificate liability would have been dealt with in the sale. Don’t have a lot of hope, but the new owner might listen if you state something of the above knowledge and do what the seller probably did with a lot of their debt- negotiate. Let the new owner know you would be happy with them honoring 50% of the certificate value. Better than nothing.

8. Lily says:

I don’t think the restaurant is sold. It simply opened under a new name with a new executive chef, and perhaps a new direction. The people who invested in the restaurant are still the same.

9. David says: