QUESTION OF THE DAY

If you think you can help out reader DN please leave a message in the blog.

Hi John,

As far as I know, there aren’t restaurants in SB that serve “good/authentic” ramen, but maybe I’m not aware….can you please ask your readers if they know of any? I’m even willing to try Ventura County if they know of any restaurants there that serve the real stuff.

Thanks in advance,

DN

14 Responses to QUESTION OF THE DAY

1. Christine says:

Itsuki did when it was on Calle Real near Hwy 154 and upper state. They moved to Goleta next to the DMV and I haven’t been to eat there since the move. Hopefully the food is still great!

2. Lily says:

Itsuki’s ramen isn’t anywhere like the stuff served in a ramenya. I recommend Ahi’s ramen. That’s probably the best you can do in Santa Barbara. You can even order the pork belly and marinated egg toppings as an appetizer.

3. Erin says:

Edomasa. It’s amazing and HUGE!

4. Erin says:

Edomasa. It is amazing and HuGE!

5. Ed says:

Still miss the long-gone Japanese noodle place at what was then the Alpha Beta (now Ralphs on DLV) strip mall. Does anyone remember?
    Think it was called Myohan and was run by a really nice guy named Suzuki-san.
    Would love to see something like that return.

6. Mari says:

Santa Barbara area does not have any authentic ramen. I’m thinking of the noodles and broth that’s served at places such as Daikokuya (very trendy now) and ChinYaMa (sadly closed but heard it’s relocating!). These are broths which not only are so rich and full-bodied but they at to dress the noodles – and you can literally feel the collagen coat your mouth :) For entertainment and casual educational value, watch a few “The Mind of a Chef” for David Chang’s history of ramen.

I second and third this person’s request for good ramen – Tsukemen is something I’ve been dying to try to find in the 805 code. Unfortunately, Itsuki used to have good ramen back in its heyday off the hoof of the 154 and I drove to the new location to try it. It was served luke-warm – if you ask them to reheat it destroys the noodle integrity. Edomasa was overly salty, watery and thin- also the noodles were too soggy. Both places had large portions but I feel that’s the standard for any ramen- known for insanely large amounts.

Chef Weston Richards did a pop up a couple weeks ago at Les Marchands (sp?) wine bar feature home-made ramen. Tried to go at 7 but it was sold out — I saw others eating it and it was the trendy small size but looked and smelled delicious!!! So sad about that.

7. sygyzy says:

The best you are going to do is Itsuki or Ahi. Spare Parts and Julienne don’t do it regularly enough to consider it reliable. You are probably never going to get Tsukemen in SB. Try Tsujita in Los Angeles.

8. goodland says:

I would rather drive to L.A. than eat Itsuki’s overpriced feeble attempt at high quality ramen.

9. DN says:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have tried Itsuki’s ramen at their new location (in Goleta, next to the DMV) & I’m going to have to agree with reader Mari on that one. It wasn’t up to par by any means & my husband’s ramen even had a piece of foil in it, but that’s besides the point.

I’ve been to Daikokuya (like Mari also mentions) in LA & that’s what I mean by real authentic ramen. DELICIOUS!

10. apathy says:

Take a look at Toki Ramen in Ventura. They have fairly authentic pork, soy sauce, and miso ramen. Not quite as good as anything you’ll get in LA, but better than anything you’ll find in SB. Last time I went, it was starting to get a bit pricey (I think $8 or $9 for a bowl), but it was worth it.

Also note, they’re not open on Mondays.