SMOKE ‘N BARREL BBQ SHACK OPENS IN GOLETA

A new BBQ restaurant has opened at 6920 Marketplace Drive, Goleta in the Camino Real Marketplace (formerly Pastavino). Here is a message from owner Clay Holdren with details about his new eatery:

Smoke ‘N Barrel BBQ Shack, a casual concept developed by the Holdren’s family restaurant company, has opened in the Camino Real Marketplace in Goleta. It features BBQ plates, specialty sandwiches, 4 types of chicken wings, a great salad bar, some delicious desserts and more. Smoke ‘N Barrel is a great place to come and enjoy some great BBQ in a relaxed atmosphere. The meats, including brisket, tri tip, ribs, sausage, and chicken, are smoked to perfection in our smoker and our homemade corn bread served with honey butter is a must try. If you are up for a challenge, try the Goleta beast sandwich: a 2-foot long pulled pork sandwich! Finish it in 30 minutes and you get it for free along with your picture up on our wall of fame. Catering and take out are also available.”

Smoke ‘N Barrel is open daily from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. For more information call 685-7300 or visit smokenbarrel.com.

smokebarrell

The Restaurant Gal and I ate lunch at Smoke ‘N Barrel earlier this week and enjoyed it. The first thing we noticed were that prices were low and portions were huge. I ordered a 1/4 rack of Babyback Ribs for $7.95 and it was a full meal. My wife ordered the 1/2 chicken ($8.25) and it was gigantic. The above picture doesn’t really convey how big it was. Each order included choice of side dish.

11 Responses to SMOKE ‘N BARREL BBQ SHACK OPENS IN GOLETA

1. Christine says:

Sounds yummy, I love BBQ and wings and will give this a try. I enjoy Rusty’s salad bars and welcome another in Goleta!

BTW Mr Holdren – if it exists, it’s no longer a “concept.” Is it a BBQ shack? Or is it a concept? Just call it a casual restaurant. As a marketer I tire of the overuse of the word “concept.” Own your business, your creation. No reason to hide behind fluffy marketing speak if the food and service is good!

2. Charlotte says:

The picture of those ribs and cornbread made me drool.

3. Becca says:

I’m looking forward to trying this place out. Looks yummy!

4. Max says:

Be careful portion sizes vary wildly. Things like pulled
    pork, triptip are served in 2oz condiment cups. The cornbread is
    slightly larger than mini muffin sized, corn bread is more like a
    piece of toast. Mac and Cheese is soupy and lacking of cheese
    flavor. Chicken and Ribs are decent portions. If you ordered say a
    2 item with cornbread and coleslaw you would end up with 8oz of
    food / 3 condiment cups and 1 mini muffin … that could easily fit
    in the palm of your hand. Some of these items are shockingly small
    … like off the kiddie menu small.

5. LM says:

What a shame that this restaurant is now another order at the window (entry) & find a seat. So it is more like a cafeteria than a restaurant. I took a peak inside & saw the changes. I don’t really want to feel as though I am in high scholl, I’d rather go out to a restaurant & have a wait staff actually come to my table, take my order & provide a nice dining experience. Paper towels on the table, really?? even the bowling alley (Zodo’s) has nice cloth napkins. The food is probably very good, the salad bar looks fine, but 2 women who were there to eat told me they preferred to be waited on & kind of just decided they would try it since they walked in not knowing what it was. I guess the objective is to appeal to the UCSB students

6. Rex Of SB says:

I find it interesting that the Restaurnt Guy was served
    four ribs in the quarter-rack he ordered, but when I went there for
    lunch today I only got three. They were quite tough and kind of
    gristly, but I stopped at The Habit on the way home because I was
    still hungry, This is the third time I’ve been to Smoke ‘n Barrel
    since it opened. I really tried to like it, but you just don’t get
    enough food. I think I’m finally done with it.

7. Fay says:

Great flavor on the brisket sliders, unfortunately I got a big piece of fat in mine (it happens), then ordered the super hot wings; not that hot and not cooked enough (red bone), then ordered the deep fried pickles which were skinny hamburger type pickles battered & fried; to me the pickle shoud be think and hold its own to the batter (Hollister has good ones). We sat at the bar and watching the walk in and order then grab your table was quite amusing, especially when they ran out of tables inside.

The salad bar didn’t entice whatsoever, ribs, well I prefer mine with a dry rub and they looked boiled to me.

I hope they get it together and make the needed changes, I’ll give ‘em another shot in a few months. but …

8. NSB says:

Went Saturday for a birthday dinner. Mistake! Food terrible, no flavor, even the BBQ sauce was not great. Don’t waste your money.

9. Alonzo says:

I’ve been to the smoke’N Barrel more than once and I keep
    coming back. It’s the most laid back place in Goleta to enjoy the
    game. The half rack of ribs is excellent.

10. Lisa says:

My kids wanted to go to Chili’s so I caved even though I don’t like it – luckily there was a 30 min wait so I took the opportunity to redirect them to the new BBQ Shack. We all loved it. No, it isn’t a fine dining experience like Holdren’s or Pasta Vino, but the food was good, inexpensive, and my kids loved it! I had a 2 item combo which was just the right size for me. For those who thought the portions small – order 3 or 4 items! I loved that I could sample different items that way. I had ribs and sausage – yum – with coleslaw and cornbread – delicious! The kids chicken tenders were the best in town. Corn on the cob was plain – no butter and salt but we could have added it. My husband loved his sandwich. It was a crime this place was near empty while Chili’s was packed!