TASTE OF MILPAS

25 restaurants and 2 wineries are participating in a new event titled Taste of Milpas, set for September 28th, 3-7 p.m. Patrons will get a goody bag and can stroll up Milpas, stopping at each restaurant, where they will be treated to free samples at 25 participating venues. Live music stages along the street will create a lively atmosphere and pocket art galleries featuring work by local artists will be strewn along the route. MTD shuttles will also help ferry attendees up and down Milpas. Tickets can be purchased at the rainbow arch near Cabrillo and Calle Puerto Vallarta, near Ortega and Milpas, and online at mcasb.org. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 the day of the event. A wine-tasting wristband can be purchased for an additional $15. Child admission is $12.

21 Responses to TASTE OF MILPAS

1. Amanda says:

Wow- this sounds like they are trying to make Milpas a destination, or to clean it up. Either way, I avoid that area..it’s nothing but trouble.

• Dave the Rave says:

visiting Santa Barbara’s Eastside is a litmus test for
      those who are not real Santa Barbarans. Good to know you arent
      really from here! Have a safe and happy day

• PL says:

Dave, love the comment. I totally agree. Great food to be had on Milpas and it’s best to keep the stuffy people away. The line at Los Agaves is already too long.

2. Christine says:

As someone who also avoids this part of town, I chuckled to myself about this event. Tickets at the Rainbow Arch? Will there be security shooing the homeless away? Wine tasting tickets – to taste wine where? Out of a brown bag behind Habit?

Sorry to be so negative, but this is really what comes to my mind about this event. Any more info to clear up some misconceptions?

3. Di says:

I am not in the know, but I suspect the idea behind the event is exactly to try to clear up possible misconceptions. After all, there is some great food to be had along Milpas Street. Even if you consider Super Rica and Los Agaves overrated and overrun (both indeed busy, but excellent, in my opinion), there is plenty to try: El Bajio, Altamirano, Mama Lu, La Colmena, etc. I do not enjoy the aesthetics of Milpas St nor its street life, but the food is worth the trip.

4. Vic says:

Awesome, I’ll be there! There are a lot of restaurants on Milpas, and I’ve often wondered how good they are. As someone who lives in Goleta, it kind of a long way to go for food, but at least I want to know what I’m missing!

And come on, there’s no point in such disparagement. It makes you guys look small.

5. Gerald Bostock says:

It’s not my neighborhood, but I go there with a friend who lives on lower Riviera. This thread is stunningly close-minded and afraid, quite possibly full of knee-jerk reactions. I took my folks in their 80′s to Eyeglass Factory & optometrist, shopped at TJ’s. Yeah, it’s been a couple of years, but my neighborhood isn’t what it used to be! I’m glad I’m still in touch with the real world and eat home-made food with my hard-working neighbors and their families, several of whom are Latino!
    I think the ticket price for Taste of Milpas is a draw. Maybe I’ll attend this one. I’d sure rather do this event than eat at what used to be State & A. (Sorry. I got angry. I’m finding out that SB food sites don’t do it for me.)

6. Gerald Bostock says:

Isn’t there also wine in brown bags, and much more unappetizing action, in front of the Habit at 628 State?
    Wow, that chain is much, much bigger than I realized.

Yes agreed, you have not sampled the best Mexican food in SB unless you have tried the Milpas places in town. Los Agaves arguably the best in town along with La Super Rica. La Tapatia arguably the best tacos and tamales in town. Other good ones I’ve tried, Tri County Produce, The Habit, Sal’s Pizza, Norton’s Pastrami, Jack’s Bagels, Fresh and Easy, Eller’s(I think the best donuts (at this location only) in town) and some decent other ones. I guess you could drive to each area if don’t want to walk it. Agree its no worse than lower state in terms of homeless.

8. Andi says:

Traditionally Milpas are has some of the best food around. Super Rica has been nationally known and previously just off Milpas was La Tolteca. There’s lots of great Santa Barbara history on and around Milpas area. Cheers to the community that strives for a positive light for our city no matter where the area,but especially to an area that needs brightness and love. Lookin forward to this event and would love to offer some artfulness at some point . Viva Santa Barbara the next food and art mecca!

9. Liz says:

Plenty of excellent food to be found on Milpas – Los Agaves, Cesar’s Place, Mama Lu, Habit, Altamirano’s, and many more. The area may not be pretentious expensive yuppie upscale farm to table organic blah blah blah, but that’s a bonus as far as I’m concerned.

10. Dave the Rave says:

Amanda and company apparently subscribe to the unfortunate
    reality in this town that the first letter in the word real estate
    can stand for racism, and the last letter elitism.

11. mike says:

Yeah, as someone who worked in the area for several years I’m getting a bit of a chuckle myself. I’ve tried just about all of the venues at one time or another. There are some good restaurants on Milpas, but I never really thought of any of them as outstanding. I guess if I look at the tickets are only $25, it’s not too bad. Still, I don’t recall anyplace there that I would go out of my way to go to.

12. Charlotte says:

I drive all the way from North Goleta just to go to The Shop. I eat out on the patio, often alone…no problems, ever. Milpas kind of reminds me of my old hood in Venice. Hey it’s not State St….yeah!!

13. Lily says:

The best Chinese food in Santa Barbara is at Mama Lu. The catch is that you have to order from the Chinese menu. Whenever I go, I see Chinese students from UCSB eating at Mama Lu. They drive across town just to satisfy their cravings, so that should tell you something about the authenticity of Mama Lu’s food.

14. LizW says:

Sounds like a great reasonably priced event. If I wasn’t already going to my favorite food event in LA I would definitely go. Some people are not comfortable in areas that have not been gentrified and i understand that, especially if you don’t have much personal history here. The Milpas area is old Santa Barbara. For me shopping and eating there is more pleasant than going to the land of the Big Butt stores, but I also like Hollister in down town Goleta. I hope the event is a great sucess.

15. Sharon Byrne says:

Thanks to those who wrote positive comments. For those disparaging the area, Milpas has worked very hard to improve our street, and create a welcoming community. Conditions have changed for the better quite a bit over the past year, thanks to strong partnerships and hard work by our businesses, residents, and our city. The Taste has some great things on offer – read the cover story on the Santa Barbara Sentinel about it. Super Rica has been named 8th best taco in the United States by Travel and Leisure. Forbes declared El Bajio the best taqueria in Santa Barbara. Your Place, the Habit, and Los Agaves regularly win Best of Santa Barbara in local media competitions. Newcomer The Shop Cafe sources locally, and trots out excellent dishes. Rodney’s Grill at the Fess is in the Taste, as as many others. 2 local wineries – Fess Parker and Jaffur’s Cellars, are in the Taste. We invite you to try the jewels on Santa Barbara’s Eat Street – that’s why we created the Taste, a chance to eat at all of them, in one night, hear live music and experience art in pocket galleries along the street. The Museum of Contemporary Art Santa Barbara will also be doing a live art demonstration.
    Revitalizing a neighborhood is a tremendous amount of work. We’ve worked hard to revitalize ours. Please give us a chance to show you Milpas in a new light, as Santa Barbara’s EATside.

• Roger Dodger says:

Tell em Sharon, Milpas is the best HOOD in the city and as far as brown bagged Wino’s and Winettes downtown and the beach area Pershing, and the Fig tree areas are more into the short dog wine drinking. Milpas is strictly a “King Cobra 40 Pounder Hood 2013′s a good beer.” No need to be afraid just as safe as anywhere else in town provided you don’t pass out and come to at 2am in the 500 Block, North..:)

16. Allan says:

Sharon you said it right. The Taste is going to have some of the best restaurants in Santa Barbara participating. This is going to be a fun event.

17. Karrie says:

We love the Eastside and are so happy to have an event to
    bring the neighborhood together. Milpas has come a long way and we
    are proud to be a part of it.