VERDE UPDATE

Verde restaurant, which opened this summer at 532 State Street (formerly Zia Cafe), has replaced chef Jim Gartman with chef Roberto. The business has also been listed for sale by Goodwin & Thyne Properties.

17 Responses to VERDE UPDATE

1. Jerry says:

AKA as going out of business. It’s been listed for sale for weeks now.

2. mike says:

That was quick. They’ve been open less than 30 days.

3. Kay Lee says:

That’s what they get for the awkward and inappropriate accent over the last e.

4. Lily says:

The menu seemed boring. They could have went the Cielito route and bring in more sophisticated and highend cuisine that distinguished itself from the cheaper Mexician places all over the town.

• Don says:

I would rather go to the cheaper Mexican places around town than have the condescending service we experienced at Cielito because we didn’t fit the look of the other clientele.

• Lily says:

That’s too bad. I enjoyed Cielito, although I think they were better when they first opened. I definitely do not fit the look of their typical clientele and the service I got was good.

5. Gerald Bostock says:

Wow, that’s bad. Sorry for the employees and even the principals, but I guess the sloppiness reached every aspect of the business.

6. Christine says:

A faster closing than Anchor? What’s this town coming to? Pop ups?

7. Charlotte says:

This IS strange! Anchor and now Verde closing/ selling in a matter of months?? I thought Anchor was fabulous and thought it would be around for a very long time. Still can’t believe they closed so abruptly…there must be a really good story there. It’s a shame to see good restaurants closing, while there’s plenty of terrible places still around.

8. Matt says:

$10,400 a month in rent not including the triple net
    charges. That’s what this town is coming to. Don’t be surprised if
    we end up with another national tenant like Panera Bread in
    there.

• Ben says:

Rent is irrelevant. The owner of Verde owns the building too.

• julibelleSB says:

rent is always relevant – have to make payments on the loan that purchased the building. Greed and ego, inexperience and unrealistic expectations vis a vis time spent:income is what causes places to open & close in 90 days. Sorry to see this go, I really liked the room, one of the nicest downstairs State Street spots to sit. But poorly trained servers and lazy food. Please Please Please simple food, small room and friendly, well managed employees..

9. twanne says:

Here is what happens with these “pop ups”;

They open as a business vs a vacated building. Rent is much higher that way as is the asking price.
    It is a very common practice in the industry and it works

10. Hi John
    My name is Cris Rosemond. I am the new Chef / Partner at Verde. We have kept the name but gone a completely new direction food and theme wise. Please peruse our fall dinner menu on the website. A little about me, if I may. A fourth generation California native. Nearly twenty years experience in upscale culinary management. Culinary degree in the US and work / studied in Italy. Chef (not cook) stints in San Francisco, Portland OR, Seattle WA, Anchorage AK, and LA. Got into the luxury private club world about ten years ago – most recently was the Exec at Birnam wood in Montecito (I believe my GM there sent you a recent letter) for five years and before that at The Jonathan Club. i am used to running large multi unit properties so the chance to get back to a more intimate place where I have a direct hand in the daily cooking is exciting.
    My food style is what you might call “coastal california”. Very seasonal utilizing local products and sourcing direct from farms via farmers market. We also house produce whenver possible including bacon, duck prosciutto (curing now) and gelato. We are serious about our food but have a fun casual attitude and are accessibly priced. we have been soft opened for a week now and our official opening for dinner is this friday night (nearly sold out). We begin lunches on Saturday. Our web presence is being updated, but i am putting most of my time into operations right now, insuring the best quality dining experience. I invite you and your readers to come in and get to know the New Verde. thanks very much John. I look forward to meeting you personally very soon.

11. Gerald Bostock says:

Good luck & best wishes to the new crew.
    I so want to try duck “prosciutto”! Off to check out the website.