MISO HUNGRY OPENS UPTOWN

A quick casual Japanese eatery named Miso Hungry has opened at 3891 State Street (in the Galleria), the former home of Jack’s Bistro & Bagels. The restaurant opened in late August and serves sushi wraps, rice bowls with a variety of ingredients and salads. The eatery serves items “build your own” style – think Asian meets Chipotle. You can choose from several combinations on the menu or build your own bowl (with white or brown rice), build your own salad with your choice of different greens, or build your own wrap (using seaweed or soy paper). Most items on the menu are under $10. Miso Hungry is open every day from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. For more information call (805) 324-4430.

19 Responses to MISO HUNGRY OPENS UPTOWN

1. goodland says:

Went to Miso Hungry a few weeks ago. Food was fresh and
    clean but not quite filling (Miso Hungry made Me-so Hungry). Had to
    go down to Chick-fil-A to get some fries to supplement it
    afterwards. Hope this place lasts as I love the concept, but the
    location is definitely problematic as the building is
    lifeless.

2. Cris says:

So it’s a copy of another Chipotle owned restaurant, ShopHouse?

3. David says:

Talk about a huge leap.

4. kerry says:

Doesn’t anyone find the NAME problematic? Tacky..not
    funny

5. kerry says:

Call me crazy..but doesn’t anyone find the NAME
    problematic? Tacky…racist..sexist..poor taste?

6. k says:

so my comments dont get posted?.. reference to Miso… etc
    About 44:30 into the film “Full Metal Jacket,” a female Vietnamese prostitute is soliciting opportunities for service to two American soldiers in her broken English. Those lines are directly out of her mouth.

I think you are thinking horny not hungry k from the movie right? Its also a Tone Loc or 2 live crew song or something. Its a play on words, I don’t think necessarily offensive unless you know the other or have heard the other h phrase. I did not even think of it until you brought it up.

8. Ed says:

I’m the last person to be overly PC-conscious, but imagine another ethnic sort of restaurant with a name in some form of race-tinged “dialect.” Regardless of the film reference, it’s a tacky name on many levels.

9. Ed says:

Okay, let me try to explain my point: I’m of Italian descent. If someone were to open a purported Italian restaurant named ” Dats’a wan (sic) Gooda Meataball!” (and yes, I know such stereotypes have been used in marketing in the past) would I be personally offended? Nope, am really not all that PC-conscious as I said. Would I find the name tacky and stupid. Yes, definitely so.
    Another example in which I have no “in-group” cred: Suppose a local dry cleaner opened up and called his business “No Tickee, No Raundry?” Would that be cute or “brash?” Would people take offense? What do you think? Think of your own ethnic-based examples if you will.

10. Gerald Bostock says:

K & Ed, I agree. Thank you for bringing it up, K.
    I’ve always believed that our language influences our thoughts. Yes, it’s a bit tacky. My background is Jewish so I may be more sensitive than some others. I also believe in the First Amendment. It’s good to take note that this is an issue to some.
    / 2 cents

11. Helicon says:

Glad that there is some dialogue regarding the name of this
    business. I saw this while driving by this past Sunday and was
    bothered by it after thinking about it. I get it… the owner
    wanted to use this as a catchy play on words,, but from their yelp
    reviews (which were good)… I don’t think they needed a catchy
    name to get people to check out the restaurant. I have to agree
    that it is tacky. I would even go further to say what really
    bothered me about it when I saw it was that it was playing off a
    statement that has been used as a means to propagate
    sexual/racial/misogynistic views then I find in really poor taste.
    I like what you say, Gerald Bostock, that language influence our
    thoughts… and the moment you make that connection of the name to
    the FMJ or song reference… it immediately connects to the imagery
    as well. That is probably what bothers me most.

12. E says:

Enough about the name. Tried the food a few days ago and thought it was great. I had a seaweed wrap with a side of their wasabi sauce and it was awesome. Hope it stays in business as i will definitely be a regular customer.

13. joe blow says:

I don’t have a problem with the name, similar pun to most Thai restaurant names (Thai One On, etc) or hair salons (Shear Pleasure, etc). I just found about this place and am looking forward to trying it out.

14. Ed says:

Okay, in fairness I checked it out despite the moronic name. It was okay, not great. The staff is friendly and helpful, the menu and set up is a bit confusing. The food quality is fine, prices are reasonable for Santa Barbara, but I’ll be shocked if they’re in operation in six months. I don’t think the “concept” (sort of Japan/Asian fusion meets the deservedly departed Epic Bowl) really works and the location is absolutely deadly.

15. k says:

exactly.. Of course it’s aplay on words.. a play on words in poor taste.. that is also sorta.. picking on a race.. it is racist..

16. k says:

i have a sense of humor.. and the dirk diggler is funny.. But refer to ED below.. It is a racial reference of mispronunciation.. that also happens to have a negative connotation associated with it.