ANCHOR WOODFIRE KITCHEN CLOSES

After 8 months in business is appears that Anchor Woodfire Kitchen at 119 State Street closed their doors today. This just in from reader Beth:

Hi John, Do you know what is going on with Anchor Woodfire Kitchen? Went there for a breakfast meeting this morning and there was a closed sign on the door with a LA phone #. I tried calling the number but there was no answer?

and from reader Anonymous:

Anchor has a note saying it is closed

and from reader David:

I walked by Anchor (next to Indigo) yesterday, 9/4, around 7:00 and several employees were milling about outside (they used to open at 7 a.m. for breakfast and naturally had their help going hard before then).  I called at about 1:45 and lady on the phone said that they have changed their breakfast hours to later and are open through lunch until 3 p.m., and then reopen for dinner… This morning I walked by and there was a sign on the window saying that they are “now closed.”

and finally, some pictures from reader PrimeTime:

anchor

16 Responses to ANCHOR WOODFIRE KITCHEN CLOSES

1. Mark says:

I heard from an employee this morning, that the LA investors changed the locks and shut it down. No word on why.

• Christine says:

I just looked back here to see when it was listed as opening and it’s what I thought – Jan of 2013. In business just 8 months??!?!? What a shame. We really enjoyed the food and cocktails. I’m sorry for all the great employees to now be suddenly out of a job.

2. Art says:

Probably just closed for ‘renovations’

3. Ken Adam says:

That’s a surprise – had dinner there last Thursday – it was very busy…

4. LizW says:

It is always sad to see a place close so soon after sinking so much money into a,project That being said, a group of us dined there about 3 weeks after it opened. For the price and hype, it was one of the most unsatisfying dining experiences in a long time. We wanted to give it a second chance, but I guess that will not be necessary. If some of the rumors (which I won’t repeat) are true, I am not surprised. My personal impression is there was some talent behind it, but too much ego and not enough discipline. Great spot and location.

5. Lily says:

I heard they have very high turnover and the owner is not kind to the employees. They are always hiring for all positions. Maybe that’s one of the contributing factor.

• julibelleSB says:

I shop at the Farmer’s Mkt regularly for my business and have witnessed Mr Turley in
      action a few times…..’I spend more money here than anyone…I’m in a hurry…’ Ego. Ego. Ego.
      This is a tough town to find good, excited, reliable cooks they’re out there but are hard to find and unless a chef has the skill as a manger to develop their team – well you’re doomed, aren’t ‘cha???

6. Milo says:

Labor Day is over. Tourists are gone. Kids are back to school. Perfect time for bad concepts and under performing restaurants to close. At least the owners of Anchor got this right!

7. Cathy says:

Heard about that the investors were losing money because the chef was diverting funds.

8. LoFi Girl says:

I know the owner… a little. Not a warm guy. Never smiles. I don’t know why that is, but I am very sad to see this place go. I heard such great things about it and never even got to try it. That area is so cool nowadays too… the whole Funk Zone has blown up. I hope something LOCAL and COOL goes in there, not some LA thing or a chain. I wish the best to him and hope he starts to find happiness.

9. Charlotte says:

What a damn shame!

10. Christine says:

Maybe Anchor’s Chef should apply at Hollister Brew.

• Charlotte says:

Yes he should! The menu sounds so tast and interesting…and then the food comes….it usually goes back. No clue in that kitchen. People love that place though, I’m sure the endless beer drinking helps the food go down.

• Christine says:

Word is their beer brewer is managing the kitchen, they really could use help. The food has only gone down in recent months – years past it was consistent and really tasty!

11. Cindy AA says:

Way to pile on people! I thought the menu was innovative,
    food terrific, and especially loved their brunch. Hopefully they
    return in some fashion, but I will miss Anchor.