- Christine on KYLE’S KITCHEN OPENS IN GOLETA
- Andrew Gault on MULLING ELEPHANT BAR’S FUTURE
- David on BARBAREÑO TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- David on MULLING ELEPHANT BAR’S FUTURE
- Papa John on MULLING ELEPHANT BAR’S FUTURE
- VT on MULLING ELEPHANT BAR’S FUTURE
- Christine on THE CRYSTAL BALL KNOWS ALL
- Christine on MULLING ELEPHANT BAR’S FUTURE
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- Stella Mare's - Enjoy cocktails, wine and casual French Country cuisine in a unique and charming location overlooking the Bird Refuge.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: July 2013
Ken Boxer, owner of Palazzio restaurant at 1026 State Street, tells me that he has about 500 cases (six three liter boxes to a case) of Hardy’s Shiraz and Hardy’s Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 vintage cooking wine to get rid of. … Continue reading
On Sunday, July 28th, Finch & Fork restaurant inside Canary Hotel, 31 W. Carrillo Street, hosted its first annual “Shuck ‘n Swallow” competition, sponsored by Santa Monica Seafood Company. Participants included Finch & Fork, Arlington Tavern, Blush, Brewhouse, Enterprise Fish … Continue reading
After a one week delay from the originally scheduled launch date, on July 27th the Marina del Rey eatery Killer Shrimp opened a second location in Santa Barbara at 416 State Street, the former home of Sharkeez. They have brought … Continue reading
Even though Taco Bell‘s beloved Enchirito is now gone, apparently you can bring it back if you know the secret words. I am hearing that if a customer orders a Combo Burrito with extra, extra, extra red sauce, the local … Continue reading
This just in from reader Foodie Dan: Hi John, I wanted to let you know that Taco Bell is taking the Enchirito off the menu. This iconic item is going to the graveyard. Foodie Dan
Last weekend I was one of 5 BBQ judges at the 4BSB festival at Elings Park. In the professional category Kaptains Firehouse BBQ (6545 Pardall Road, Isla Vista) won best chicken while Blazin Blue BBQ won best ribs. In the … Continue reading
I called the Elephant Bar (521 Firestone Road, Goleta) today and they told me that they are closing August 18th. I asked what the reason was and the receptionist told me it was because the Elephant Bar could not agree … Continue reading
Reader Steven let me know that Full of Life Flatbread, based in Los Alamos, will be opening a second location downtown, next to the new Santa Barbara Public Market on Victoria Street at Chapala. Their menu is online.
The Crazy Good Bread company has also been added to the list of business opening in or around the new Santa Barbara Public Market at Victoria and Chapala Streets.
Reader Peter tells me that Honduran restaurant Cinco Estrellas at 316 N. Milpas Street (in the back) closed in early July. The eatery opened for business last January.
Pizza Mizza at 140 S. Hope Avenue (La Cumbre Plaza) recently unveiled a new menu that has added some new pizzas, pastas, salads, and sandwiches to the menu as well as added the ability to order food online. Additions to … Continue reading
On July 19th Chef Robbie Wilson and wife Emily reopened Mattei’s Tavern at 2350 Railway Avenue in Los Olivos, the former home of Brothers Restaurant which is in the process of moving to 3539 Sagunto Street in Santa Ynez (formerly … Continue reading
A Mexican restaurant named “Tapatia #3” has opened at 5764 Hollister Avenue in Goleta, the former home of New China.
Several readers tell me that New China at 5764 Hollister Avenue in Goleta, which offered Chinese, Japanese and Korean cuisine, closed in June. I am told the business was replaced my Mexican restaurant “Tapatia #3.”
Reader Rachel let me know that Marmalade Cafe at 3825 State Street no longer serves breakfast on weekdays. Weekend breakfast hours are 8 a..m – 3 p.m.
Reader Don tells me that a new Italian restaurant named Sorriso Italiano opened on July 15th at 901 Embarcadero del Mar in Isla Vista, near Giovannis. Here is a description of the eatery from their web site: “It all started … Continue reading
Reader Dustin tells me that a sign for a new restaurant named “Mesa Verde” has appeared at 1919 Cliff Drive, the former home of Cliff’s & Co. I decided to add this sentence to the story so at first glance … Continue reading
Killer Shrimp at 416 State Street (formerly Sharkeez) has changed their opening date to Saturday, July 27th.
In a potentially great sign for the local culinary economy, I am happy to report that there have been no South Coast restaurant closures (that I know of) in the last 3 months. In the 8 years that I have … Continue reading
Little Caesars Pizza opened today at 109 S. Fairview Avenue in Goleta, just south of the 101 freeway and next door to Big Brand Tires. Little Caesars was founded by husband and wife Mike and Marian Ilitch on May 8, … Continue reading
On July 14th, Bastille Day, bouchon restaurant at 9 W. Victoria Street celebrated 15 years in business. Speaking of anniversaries, The Restaurant Gal and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary on July 15th by having a terrific dinner at bouchon, … Continue reading
Saturday, July 20th, 2013, from noon until 3 p.m. Winehound will be having an international wine tasting event at SOhO, 1221 State Street. There will be about five dozen different wines to sample, SOhO will be serving up hot appetizers, and … Continue reading
On Wednesday, July 17th, 6:30 p.m. Arlington Tavern at 21 W. Victoria Street is partnering with Figueroa Mountain Brewing Co., the newest brewery to open up shop in the Funk Zone, for a special beer dinner. Chef Ron True and the … Continue reading
On Friday, July 19th, popular Marina del Rey eatery Killer Shrimp will open a second location in Santa Barbara at 416 State Street, the former home of Sharkeez. “Santa Barbara, known for its laid back beach culture, beautiful city and … Continue reading
At the recent Taste of the Nation culinary event in Montecito I spoke with Elaine Morello, co-owner of Olio e Limone Ristorante and Olio Pizzeria at 11 W. Victoria Street. She tells me that Olio is planning to open a … Continue reading
Albertsons Market no longer requires patrons to use an Albertsons club card to receive special discounts. The reduced prices on selected items now happen automatically at the cash register and are available to everyone. As a frequent Albertsons customer The … Continue reading
On July 20th from noon to 6:00 p.m. an event called “4BSB” is being held at Elings Park at 1298 Las Positas Road to celebrate barbecue, brews, bikes and blues on a summer afternoon in Santa Barbara. 100% of the … Continue reading
During July Wine Cask restaurant at 813 Anacapa Street is partnering with Pacific Pride Foundation through their Charity Lunch Promotion and will donate 10% of all guest checks when they mention this local nonprofit organization, dedicated to providing comprehensive health … Continue reading
Local entrepreneur Nico Roberts tells me that he has created a website specifically for mobile devices which provides a half-hourly updated listing of places, venues and eateries staying open later in the evening here in Santa Barbara. Every 30 minutes … Continue reading