OPEN OPENS

openLocal private chefs Myco Rosso and Linda Kendall operated their kitchen out of Earl Warren Showgrounds for many years. Having outgrown the location the pair searched for a larger kitchen and came across a space in El Mercado Plaza at 4141 State Street, the former home of Kobachi Izakaya Dining (2008-2012) and Kampai (2005 – 2008). Because the kitchen came with a dining room and lots of free parking they decided to launch a small eatery named Restaurant Open to run along side their private dining business. Open seats 15 inside and 6 outside, and features the talents of Le Cordon Bleu-trained Chef Guilherme Cruz.

In the morning Open offers breakfast sliders (egg with your choice of croissant, bagel, sausage, ham, bacon, cheese), Egg McMyco (a sandwich-size English muffin with 2 eggs, cheddar cheese and your choice of meat), egg wrap (a breakfast burrito with potato, eggs, cheese and choice of meat) and a granola parfait.

For lunch the eatery serves tri-tip sandwiches, breaded black pepper chicken tenders, grilled lemon pepper chicken tenders, mixed green salad (with choice of grilled salmon, baked salmon, grilled vegetables, grilled chicken breast, grilled steak or grilled tofu), build-your-own burger (with 5 choices of cheese) and deli sandwiches (including roast turkey, ham, roast beef, chicken salad, tuna salad). A daily sandwich special is also available. Soups are available in the winter and gazpacho is served during the summer.

Hours are Monday – Sunday 6:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. For more information call 845-7329 or search for Restaurant Open on Facebook.

15 Responses to OPEN OPENS

1. Sonia Hayward says:

Hi. I just ran over to this restaurant because my business is close by and read your announcement. I had such a shockingly bad sandwich that I’m compelled to write this (as of now there’s no Yelp site). I ordered a turkey sandwich on squaw bread. The menu claimed it came with lettuce, tomato and pickle. The bread was not fresh and refridgerator cold. There was no pickle or tomato and only one thin leaf of lettuce. I was told I should take a packet of mayo or mustard if I wanted to.. When I got back to my store and opened the packet the mayonnaise was watery and grayish. Luckily I had a jar in my refrigerator. Even slathering it on it was the driest sandwich I’ve ever had. On top of that, there was a tiny slice of meeley orange included in the styrofoam box which i threw away.This is not what I expected from a Cordon Bleu trained chef. Please pass this on to the owners as I and my employees like to support local businesses.

• Glenn says:

Its probably fair to not review a place until it has been open more than….at least I try to give it a month to work things out or I go once when it opens then later and compare to see if things have gotten better or not.

• Mike says:

Of course it’s fair…they’re open for business. This is constructive criticism. I wonder if they have all you can drink sodas.

• Lily says:

I usually expect opening day issues to be slow service or confusion among staff, but if the kitchen can’t make a simple sandwich tastes good, then there are far more serious issues here.

• Glenn says:

I guess so, I just don’t like jumping the gun on reviews when they have not gotten everything organized but I guess it is a slap in the face to management to wake them up to get going, unfortunately I have found sometimes these snap reviews(which I am guilty of in the past) keep people away so that the place tanks before it has a chance to make any money or be able to change their ways.

2. DN says:

I have to agree with the first reader. I ran over for lunch as well after reading your blog & was sadly disappointed. I ordered a mixed green salad that included grilled veggies & I asked for grilled chicken. It was very small for the price & at first I thought they forgot to put the greens in since they included very little greens. They included very little grilled veggies, also. The grilled chicken was a good portion & decent though.They also serve it in these small carboard containers with plastic utensils even if you dine there, which I thought was kind of odd/tacky. I also ordered a side of potato salad for $3.00, which was also a very small portion for the price & it wasn’t very tasty. I ended up throwing most of it away. The staff seemed like they were kind of confused & hadn’t gotten the hang of it yet, but they were semi-friendly I guess, just seemed lost along w/the cashier who had to keep asking the owners (?) questions when I was ordering & inquiring about simple things. I would think they would have the cashiers trained a little bit better on what they serve as customers are sure to ask questions. I was looking forward to visiting this place often since it’s by my place of work & home, but now I’m not so excited anymore. I don’t mean to bash the business, as I also like to support local businesses, but just trying to give constructive criticism in hopes that they improve. Overall, less than mediocre food & overpriced for what you get.

3. syg yzy says:

Who is this supposed to appeal to? The manu reminds me of something you’d see at a diner on Route 66.

4. Susan says:

Oh dear, where’s Gordon Ramsey when you need him…sigh.

5. Charlotte says:

How do you mess up a turkey sandwich? I don’t care how new the place is.

6. Myco Rosso says:

Hi John,

Myco from Restaurant OPEN. First of all Linda and I want to thank you so much for searching us out and thinking of us. We really appreciate your feature. As it has brought the attention of the public to our new location, it has come with the usual challenges. To Sonia, Glenn, Lilly, DN. Syg yzy, Susan and Charolette, we very much appreciate your feed back. I am not going to make any excuses and I take full responsibility for our mistake. We have addressed those very concernes and I personally would like to invite you back, try us again, on us! Our goal is to serve people the best, freshest food possible at reasonable prices. In an effort to ramp up for the feature release we brought in some brand new folks and we had some errors and feel terrible. If y’all can make your way back I promise to make things right and show you what we mean by Freestyle/Fresh. We appreciate all of our locals and those passing through, so much. We love food and love making it for people. Thank you all, again, for caring enough to give us your feedback.

7. Sonia says:

OK. Gave Open another try today and the turkey sandwich was
    100% improved! Generous amount of lettuce and turkey; the tomato
    and pickles were included; the orange slice was plump and fresh..
    Even the to go box was larger. No squaw bread but the sour dough
    was delicious.The only suggestion I would make, Myco, is to ask if
    one wants the bread grilled. I didn’t expect it to be and was happy
    it was but some customers may assume and prefer ungrilled. I will
    be back. Keep up the good work! Sonia

8. Dane Ward says:

I work right nearby, and have been going to Open steadily for months. Their food is just so freshly prepared!

Breakfast – The yogurt parfait, my personal favorite, is a super healthy start to the day. They always make it 95% identical but that last 5% is usually a seasonal fruit or some special twist. Dragonfruit, kiwis, mango, and a few others I didn’t recognize. The breakfast burritos are well seasoned and very hearty, similar to Anna’s Bakery’s I’d say, but with more egg and meat.

Lunch – I usually go with their lunch specials, which can be anything seem random, but when that’s not available the turkey sandwiches are it for me. Freshly sliced right there, yummo! They’re famous for their tri tip sandwiches mostly though. They season the holy hell out of them, rendering sauces/salsas obsolete! Their burgers and fries are top notch too. Basically, expect a masterpiece if Myco is manning the grill – he takes great pride in his work and rightly so.

Price – I’d say it’s $1-2 underpriced. They make it very quickly without sacrificing a shred of quality. In my mind the price should be higher than what it is. I should also point out, if you go to a fast food joint, you’re going to spend $6-10 on mass-produced garbage. Why do that to yourself when you can have proper food at the same price?? You can call it in, pick it up, take it with you too!

Give the place a try. There’s a lot of flexibility on the menu options and the owners really do aim to please!