JOHN LOCKE DIES

Reader Primetime tells me that John Locke, General Manager of the Cold Spring Tavern since May 2000, passed away last Sunday. No other details are available.

14 Responses to JOHN LOCKE DIES

1. Kenny Sultan says:

I am shocked, just like everyone. John was not only the best guy to work for, he was the best guy period!
    He will be missed.

Kenny

2. Gina DeAngelo/ Joel Pederson says:

Such sad, sad news! Our hearts go out to Betsy and Woody
    during this time of loss. Gina and Joel

3. Art says:

John was well known in the Santa Barbara restaurant industry as perhaps one of the best professionals from his days in the ’80s managing Areno Produce, his management of Baltieri’s and Macaluso’s until he took over the Cold Spring Tavern and took a tourist attraction into a first rate well known winner. He just worked too damm hard.
    Kenny you are so right he was the best.

4. Tom Ball says:

Man, this is terrible news. Our hearts go out to everyone
    – John was a really special guy and we’re going to miss him
    hugely!

5. Barbara says:

John had a sense of humor about him that always made you smile, I worked for John at Einstiens Deli way back, he was a family friend, he will be missed by so many. Thoughts and Prayers go to Woody and Betsy, and his Cold Springs Tavern Family

6. David Jaskolski says:

I have known John since 1983 and have lost someone that was like a brother to me. We met as managers for Pleasers Restaurants in Santa Barbara, and then he was part of The Timbers Restaurant prior to him going in 2000 to the Cold Springs Tavern. Something about John was in the Restuarant business and for me when I closed the Timbers in 2004 to start a career with Farmers Insurance it can be rough but we both made a point of calling each other often to just get a word of encouragement, a laugh, and just talk about anything. I love you John and will miss you. My prayers have gone to your Betsy and Woody and I promise I will be there for them.

7. Margaret Pryde says:

I knew John from the Goleta Railroad Museum. He would do
    the tri-tip and taught me the secret that the meat will keep
    cooking after you pull it from the heat. Very nice guy.

8. Laurel says:

I am so sorry to hear now of Betsy passing away just Sunday
    morning. It’s unbelievable and so sad. Such a loss for our
    community, Betsy was so good with our family and our daughter rode
    with her stables for years. Keeping all the family and Woody in our
    hearts…

9. Lorne Wiesblott says:

I first met John when we opened Einsteins Deli on state
    street back in the early 80′s I stayed connected thru all these
    years in and out of many restaurants he was associated with. He was
    a good man, an honest and caring guy who will be missed by the many
    who’s lives he touched. Rest in peace John, rest in peace.

10. Art Gaspar says:

Here’s the update on the loss of John Locke and Betsy
    Woods-Locke There will be a Celebration of Life for John at Cold
    Spring Tavern this Monday April 29th from 3-7… There will be
    Tri-tip sandwiches provided we ask that you bring a side-dish
    Potluck and BYOB ! There will be a Celebration of life for Betsy
    Woods-Locke to follow in the next couple of weeks!!

11. Jack Costello says:

John worked for us at The Timbers for some years before
    Cold Springs Tavern. John was not only a true food service
    professional but a warm person of the highest integrity. I only met
    Betsy and Woody a few times but I know they were a close knit
    family. My heart goes out to Woody in this trying time.

12. Krista Mastres says:

I knew John way back when he managed Perry’s Pizza in IV back in 1981-83 or so (think Fast Times at Ridgemont High). He was my manager then while I worked my way through college. A great guy, for sure. Even after all the years gone by, during my last visit up to Cold Springs Tavern maybe 1 year ago, I ran into him and he remembered me! Unbelievable considering all the people he’s worked with over the years. Was he ill prior to his death? Seems to me I saw him maybe last fall at Kahuna Grill having a meal and he told me he was out of the restaurant biz…

13. Rich says:

Jon was my friend. I met him in Branson Missouri and he
    played his washboard base for me. I grew to respect and love this
    man. We stayed in touch over the years and he called me his pastor.
    I will miss you my friend and will see you in heaven, what a band
    we will have!