SAMA SAMA COMES TO STATE STREET

sama-samaA new Indonesian eatery named Sama Sama Kitchen opens Tuesday March 19th at 1208 State Street, the former home of East restaurant. I am told that the food is Indonesian-inspired and that they are sourcing from local farms and markets. Sama Sama, which means “you’re welcome” in Indonesian, is owned by the head chef Ryan Simorangkir. He spent the last 3 years running a restaurant in Bali with his friend Tyler Peak, who will also be a chef at Sama Sama. There is a full bar but it is separately owned until they can take over the liquor license at the end of May. Hours are Tuesday – Saturday 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., 5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m. and Sunday brunch 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. For more information call 453-8717 or visit facebook.com/samasamakitchen.

14 Responses to SAMA SAMA COMES TO STATE STREET

1. Christine! says:

AWESOME!

2. lemonjelly says:

Looking forward to it. Hope there is some mi goreng and nasi campur. Bring on the lemongrass and kaffir lime.

• SL says:

Speaking of kaffir limes, is there any place in SB that sells them? Same goes for galangal. Lazy Acres used to carry it, but I haven’t seen it for a while.

• lemonjelly says:

I have never seen the actual fruits at the farmers market, but if there is any vendor that has them, it might be Mud Creek Farms. I think I’ve seen frozen leaves maybe at Indo China, and either frozen or dried galangal. I can’t say for sure about the kaffir since I am spoiled – I have my own tree.
        You use the limes more than the leaves?

• SL says:

The leaves are mainly what I’m after. I’m sure since you have a tree you’ve tried the juice which really isn’t something you want to use. The rind and zest though are usable.

• lemonjelly says:

I mainly use the leaves. But I’ve found the fruit is good for making marmalade as its bitter flavor is reminiscent of the bitterness in Seville oranges.

• lemonjelly says:

Mud Creek definitely has kaffir leaves, I asked them. But, you need to request them first, and then pick them up when they’re next at the market. If you want the leaves local and organic, this is the way to go.

• Lily says:

The little Asian grocery store in the same parking lot as Saigon Noodle House has fresh kaffir lime leaf and fresh galanga.

3. alisa says:

Indochina market always carries both kaffir lime leaves and galangal. they receive their produce shipments on thursdays, so sometimes may be sold out of some items after the weekend. ask the owners, as they are very nice and helpful folks. you can freeze extra lime leaves, too. not ideal, but better than nada in a pinch!

4. Charlotte says:

I Love Indochina Market! It’s right next door to Cajun Kitchen in Goleta. There’s a little bit of everything and everywhere here, from GB to India and Thailand. Last week I picked up some fresh lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves and Galangal….makin Tom Ka Gai? …… And the best little Hello Kitty cookies from Japan. Love!

5. Leftcoaster says:

Interesting choice of name. If memory serves me correctly,
    “Sama Sama” means “same same” in Indonesian (or Malay). It’s used
    as in “no difference” or “no change.”

• Leftcoaster says:

I stand corrected. “Sama sama” can also mean “you’re
      welcome.” Indonesian is interesting, as there are relatively few
      words as compared to English – so they have to serve multiple
      purposes. For example, the word for “door key” is literally
      translated as “baby of the lock”.

6. Rachel says:

Does anyone know approximate pricing for Sama Sama? A range is fine, I am just trying to determine what to expect and I cannot find it on their website or facebook page….

• Lily says:

Each plate range from $4 to $10. They are tapa size plate, so I would say about $20 per person. Their menu changes everyday, which is why there is no menu. There are pictures on yelp to give you some ideas.