- Brian on ZIZZO’S OPENING SECOND LOCATION
- Mary on POLL: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CLOSED RESTAURANT?
- Mary on POLL: WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE CLOSED RESTAURANT?
- Amanda on ZIZZO’S OPENING SECOND LOCATION
- lemonjelly on BARBAREÑO TO OPEN DOWNTOWN
- Sharon O'Reilly on CORRECTION
- Jan T on PIANO RIVIERA LOUNGE
- Mary on PIANO RIVIERA LOUNGE
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- Stella Mare's - Enjoy cocktails, wine and casual French Country cuisine in a unique and charming location overlooking the Bird Refuge.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: March 2013
In the last 5 years Santa Barbara’s seaside “Funk Zone” of artists, galleries, restaurants, wineries and assorted businesses has become one of the fastest growing areas of the South Coast. New wine tasting rooms seem to arrive every few months … Continue reading
I did a survey of the cost of a single scoop of ice cream (not including gelato) at dessert destinations in Santa Barbara. At each store the price of ice cream in a cup or on a sugar cone is … Continue reading
At the risk of revealing TMI, I can say I never cared much for Quaker Oats steel-cut, home-cooked oatmeal. To me it tastes like wet cardboard just out of a blender. The Restaurant Gal is a big fan of it … Continue reading
Here is a list of local food and drink destinations that have closed in the last year: March 2013: none February 2013: La Carreta Mexican Seafood, 290 Storke Rd., Goleta January 2013: Los Gallos, 2009 De la Vina St.; Meat … Continue reading
Yogurtland opened today at 5880 Calle Real in Goleta, the former home of Blockbuster. Tonight they close at 7:00 p.m. then switch to their regular hours: 11 a.m. -10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. Friday … Continue reading
On March 30th 7:00 p.m. the Santa Barbara Rape Crisis Center’s annual Chocolate de Vine fundraiser will be held at the Santa Barbara Woman’s Club, 670 Mission Canyon Road. Here is a press-release about it: Put on your cocktail attire … Continue reading
Life Lesson #62: keep your expensive clothes in a garment bag even if they are just hanging in your closet. Last weekend I discovered that a wool-loving carpet beetle found its way in to my closet and chewed holes in … Continue reading
This just in from James Sly of Sly’s Restaurant, 686 Linden Ave, Carpinteria: John, In celebration of the reopening of the El Encanto this week, Sly’s will be serving the famous “Floating Islands” just like I used to make when … Continue reading
In early January 2007, two weeks after I started this column, I met The Restaurant Gal while dining at a hole-in-the wall in Santa Monica. Last May I finally proposed, we were married in July and she moved from down … Continue reading
If you have any suggestions please leave a message in the blog. John, Was hoping you could poll the readers. Is there any place in Santa Barbara to get homemade Chicken Pot Pies other than Harry’s? Thanks Danny
I can exclusively report to you that Killer Shrimp Restaurant and Bar, located next to the Marina Del Rey harbor in southern California for more than two decades, will be invading the South Coast this June at 416 State Street … Continue reading
Owners Eui and Amanda Oh tell me that the popular dessert destination Yogurtland will open their second location at 5880 Calle Real in Goleta, the former home of Blockbuster, sometime between March 25-27. Hours will be 11 a.m. -10 p.m. … Continue reading
The Daily Grind at 2001 De La Vina Street started accepting credit and debit cards on March 1st. Speaking of the Daily Grind I am told that their second location at 2912 De La Vina Street (formerly Taco Bell) is … Continue reading
If you have any suggestions for reader DN please leave a message in the blog. Hi John- My husband has been in search of a restaurant in the Santa Barbara area that serves pork belly. Can you please ask your … Continue reading
Toma Restaurant & Bar, coming to 324 West Cabrillo Boulevard (formerly Emilio’s), is scheduled to open April 10. The food will focus on Italian Mediterranean inspired dishes using ingredients from local farms & fisherman. The menu will also bring back … Continue reading
Over the weekend I noticed that the “coming soon” sign for Fresh & Easy, 5955 Calle Real, Goleta (formerly SB Motor Sports) is no longer being displayed. Given that the CEO of the grocery chain stated that he might close … Continue reading
Seven years in the making and rebuilt from the ground up at a cost of $134 million, the El Encanto hotel at 800 Alvarado Place on the Riviera reopened today. The hotel has several eating areas including the dining room, … Continue reading
Juice Ranch has opened 33 Parker Way, just around the corner from the Santa Barbara Roasting Company. Here is their press release: COLD-PRESSED 100% ORGANIC JUICE! Our goal is to provide the community with the best crafted, cold-pressed, 100% organic … Continue reading
Reader Kay Lee was asking about Seven Bar & Kitchen in the Funk Zone. I have never heard of them so I looked at their Facebook page and it appears they have the same address (224 Helena St) as The … Continue reading
A panel of judges decided that the winner of the menudo cook-off at the first annual Menudo Festival held March 10th at Franklin Elementary School is Taqueria El Bajio at 129 N. Milpas Street.
A new Indonesian eatery named Sama Sama Kitchen opens Tuesday March 19th at 1208 State Street, the former home of East restaurant. I am told that the food is Indonesian-inspired and that they are sourcing from local farms and markets. … Continue reading
Readers tell me that German eatery Hoffman’s Brats has opened at 801 State Street, the former home of Snack Shack and Rocks.
Here is a list of food & drink destinations that have opened in the last year: March 2013: Georgia’s Smokehouse food truck, georgias-smokehouse.com; Hoffman’s Brats, 801 State St.; Sama Sama Kitchen, 1208 State St. February 2013: Chick-fil-A, 3707 State St.; … Continue reading
Reader Karlene tells me that Chomp Burgers, Fries and Shakes has opened in Solvang at the corner of Mission and Alisal, where the mermaid fountain is, and in the former home of Manny’s Restaurant. She tells me that the eatery … Continue reading
Reader Chris let me know that there is a sign in the front of Pizza Guru, 3534 State Street, indicating that they have temporarily suspended sales of alcohol.
Sources tell me that Tinker’s at 2275 Ortega Hill Road in Summerland is now serving BBQ on Mondays from 12-4 p.m. The offerings include tri-tip, tri-tip sandwiches, ribs, dinosaur-sized beef ribs, chili beans, and some of the typical BBQ sides.
In a few months Santa Barbara’s Funk Zone should officially complete its years-long transition into the “Fun Zone.” An entire block of E. Yanonali Street, between Helena Avenue and Anacapa Street, including a building at 131 Anacapa Street, formerly-known as … Continue reading
This just in from the SBPD: Join us for our 1st annual Menudo Festival, supporting the Santa Barbara Police Youth Explorer Program. Sunday, March 10, 9am – 2pm, Franklin Elementary School, 1111 E. Mason Street Come participate in this fundraising … Continue reading
This just in from Petrini’s restaurant at 5711 Calle Real in Goleta. They generously asked me to be a food judge but unfortunately the Restaurant Gal and I will be out of town March 20th. That day I have been … Continue reading
Presented by the Solvang Conference & Visitors Bureau since 1993 with sponsorship support from the Santa Ynez Valley Hotel Association, “Taste of Solvang” begins Wednesday, March 13 through Sunday, March 17. The event features locally grown foods, wines and diverse … Continue reading