SURVEY RESULTS: THE BEST OF 2013

Here are the winners of the SantaBarbara.com Restaurant Guide online poll. Survey participants considered 100 different food & drink categories.

Click here for The Best of 2013

A few items of interest:

• “Best Overall Restaurant” for the second year in a row is Bouchon.
  • Cielito received the most votes for “Best New Restaurant.”
  • Harry’s Plaza Cafe received the most awards (first place or finalist) with 6. Bouchon and Opal had the second-most awards with 5 each. Brophy Bros., Eureka Burger and Hollister Brewing Co. each received awards in 4 categories.
  • Eureka Burger made quite an impression on Santa Barbara diners. The Paseo Nuevo eatery, which opened just last September, beat The Habit for title of “Best Burger Place.” The Habit held that title for the last 5 years in a row. Eureka Burger was also voted “Best American Restaurant” and was the finalist for “Best New Restaurant.”
  • Hollister Brewing Co. finally broke Z’s Tap House 6-year winning streak for “Best Beer Selection on Tap.”
  • Carr Winery swept both winery categories, having received the most votes for “Best Santa Barbara County Winery” and “Best Tasting Room.”
  • Speaking of wine, owner Mitchell Sjerven seems to know a thing or two about the subject. His Wine Cask restaurant was awarded “Best Restaurant Wine List” and his Bouchon eatery was the finalist.

18 Responses to SURVEY RESULTS: THE BEST OF 2013

1. Marvin H. says:

These are some great places to go in Santa Barbara, local or tourist, it is just good eating! Bouchon of course is the best, the atmosphere and vibe of it all and of course the food is mind blowing. Harry’s is great and by far the best drinks in town (or stiffest). I was in town over Christmas time and enjoyed eating at a lot of these places. I stayed at this great place too, the Sandman Inn (www.thesandmaninn.com). Inexpensive to say the least close to a lot of good eating too!

2. Barry Schoer says:

Great job John, hope you are feeling 100% again. So funny,
    over on Edhat Harry’s is getting trashed to smithereens,
    That is except for my comment (COMMENT 375129P) and a few
    others!

3. sbdude says:

Not surprised, Barry. The majority of commenters on edhat are usually pretty mindless, and hardly ever helpful when folks ask a legitimate question.

I’m kind of surprised about Root 246, but to each their own. I’ve never had a good experience there, and the food is overpriced for what you get.

• Glenn says:

I went a couple of years ago and it was really great worthy of the price for me(I think they gave us some free appetizers too just because), not sure what in particular made it bad for you.

4. Jon says:

Oreana as runner up for best wine tasting??? John, I suggest you reserve the right to overrule bad decisions by the masses. I’m not sure what they pour can even be called wine.

• Chris says:

I didn’t vote for Oreana, but it depends on how you define the wine-tasting experience. I bet alot of people voted for the courtesy of the staff and experience. I’ve had some fun times there and great service, but I also agree that the quality of wine is not the best.

5. Brendan says:

What exactly does “Burger Place” mean? It’s a little odd for the $10 Eureka Burger to be in the same category as the $3 Habit burger, rather than being in the same category as the $10 burgers at Hollister Brewing Co. and Paradise Cafe.

• Glenn says:

Good point and both Habit and Eureka offer other things on the menu besides burgers whereas In N Out is just burgers. He probably means a place mostly known for their burgers(esp. if it has “burger” in the name!)

I liked the Los Olivos Petros, have not tried the SB one that I think you are referring to. There are other Greek places(see Greek listings) but they probably don’t get the traffic these two Petros places get.

• Charlotte says:

I’ve tried all the Greek in town (all of which aren’t very good or clean). I usually get my Greek-on at the annual festival but as of last year they’ve decided to outsource a lot of the food to perveyors which = yuck! My Greek friends were so pissed, I was flat out sad. The new prefab Moussaka tastes just like Petros….Shepherd’s Pie! Gasp! I still dream of the Greek Orthodox ladies’ Moussaka…sigh. I’ll have to get my Greek Orthodox Cookbook out and get er done. It would be nice to have a traditional sit down restaurant in town.

7. Laura says:

Maybe the definition of “Burger Place” should be that the patty is beef and not “beef”.

8. Gerald Bostock says:

Barry, I too tried to direct the Edhat / Harry’s conversation toward food details. But many people ended up supporting it. It’s a typical online site: LOTS of negative, useless comments.

I look forward to perusing this site’s awards. I will admit to some surprise that Harry’s “received the most awards (first place or finalist) with 6.” They do make a great fried chicken, but I can no longer afford to eat there; I hit Harbor places when I splurge. I will not add to flames by posting this thread on Edhat!

9. Gerald Bostock says:

Upon review of the Edhat thread, Barry, I anonymously posted twice about food specifics and you mentioned drinks, drinks and drinks! And Harry’s great salads, and other dishes. Just pulling your leg. Cheers!

10. anonymous says:

did you mean exorbitant?

Hey Charlotte, live by the sword, die by the sword. You exuberantly criticize almost everything and everyone so I couldn’t resist pointing out your mistake.