QUESTION OF THE DAY

If you have any leads for Walter please leave a message in the blog.

Good day,

My name is Walter.  I am a well “seasoned” Chef and I am looking to relocate to Santa Barbara in the very near future, actually, ASAP.

I can across your website and loved all the information about the dining scene in town.  I figured that you may be someone who may know if anyone is looking for a high quality Chef. As I do know that you are not a employment agency, but I thought you will have a pulse on the scene.  Thank you.

I would truly appreciate it if you can pass on my information to whoever you see fit, merci.

P.S. I am also a very sharp bartender as well.  I am willing to get behind the bar to get my feet in town.

Thank you once again for your time and kind consideration.

Regards,
Walter

9 Responses to QUESTION OF THE DAY

1. Meridith Moore says:

He should apply at catering companies to get some work, the season is kicking in i.e. Michael’s Catering, Village Modern foods.

2. Lily says:

The new highend hotel/restaurant El Encanto is hiring for all positions.

3. a p c says:

WHAT? You can do this?

4. Michael Gardner says:

Walter- I just completed an Executive Chef search in
    Montecito. There is a lot of talent already in town, familiar with
    the suppliers and farmers, looking for new openings or to leave
    their current employer. You will need to stand-out to get someone’s
    attention. Don’t mean to be a downer, just realistic. And I might
    agree with a p c- let’s be careful how this site and blog are
    utilized…

• The real Michael Gardner says:

Not too sure who wrote this but it was not me. Either way,
      Walter in this town utilize any and all avenues possible to land a
      job here in SB. All the best luck.

• Michael Gardner says:

Michael- I assure you am quite real. I am the person people sometimes mistakenly call when they are looking for your burger bus- I politely give them your phone number, which I thoughtfully put in my phone and wallet.

DC- my posting was certainly not anonymous and if you reread, you will find it to be very evenly written. My search was rather extensive and included candidates with experience at SYR, Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, Winecask. I do not think that all of the best talent is already here. I was simply sharing with Walter, veteran hospitality professional to professional, some very germaine insights to the thought processes of those hiring in Santa Barbara.

John- the competition is fierce. I had candidates from around the nation and a remarkable contingent of European-trained chefs beating the door down for even a telephone interview. Santa Barbara has such a mystique for people.

I am not from Santa Barbara and found myself fortunate to work and adopt this community to live in and serve. I wish the same for anyone seeking a life in Santa Barbara.

5. Charlotte says:

I was thinking the same thing…..this isn’t Craig’sl
    List.

6. DC says:

Walter – don’t let the negativity here get to you…you know your field and your background better than these anonymous posters so my advice is to use John’s blog and the directory to find restaurants that appeal to you and reach out to them to personally introduce yourself…

Santa Barbara is a wonderful place to be once you’re “in.” I moved here a few years back and am in a completely different field, but the attitudes you see above toward outsiders are somewhat common. There seems to be a general feeling that SB is the best place in the world and all of the best talent is already here – hopefully you’re able to find something in town and can provide a fresh perspective!

7. John Dickson says:

I posted the employment-related question to mix things up a bit. I thought it might be interesting to see what the local job-seeking environment is for chefs these days. Have no fear, this blog won’t start competing with Craig’s List.