SIZZLER CLOSES

Goleta dining institution Sizzler has closed at 5555 Hollister Avenue. On September 13, 2011 I reported that The Radius Group had published the address as available for lease. I spoke with a person on site who told me that demolition is beginning immediately. I don’t know if that involves just the interior or refers to the entire building. Thanks to reader Primetime for the tip.

10 Responses to SIZZLER CLOSES

1. Laura says:

I really really hope that measures have been taken to protect the 250+ year old land marked “witness” sycamore tree — around which the restaurant was built — during demolition. Land mark status for the tree doesn’t mean the property management firm understands how fragile a 250 year-old tree is!!!! Also, compacting the ground around a sycamore (especially an old one) is bad for it — I’m thinking bulldozers and excavators around its roots.

2. SL says:

Oh man, I bet Junior is bummed.

• Glenn says:

Who is Junior? Fond memories of that place as its been there for so long but the food was never fine dining. You could always stuff yourself for cheap at the salad/soup and ice cream bar(kid fave). The tree was always neat. I wonder how long it has been there? I want to say I remember it from the 80s at least, was it there in the 70s too? Its too bad they could not change things up to keep it there.

3. 513805 says:

It would be great if we could get a souplantatation or cheesecake factory!

4. RexOfSB says:

Wasn’t it the Blue Ox that first occupied the site of what is/was Sizzler?

Goodbye, Sizzler. It might not have been five-star dining, but for basic, decent, reasonably priced American food, it was best in its class. Some of us will truly miss Sizzler.

5. Chaz says:

Not sure why Sizzler triggered another memory from the 70s – but I miss sitting at the counter of Kayser’s Health Food store in 5-Points having a Hercules Flip and one of their healthful confections before starting out on a bike ride. I preferred the 5-Points store to the other one on Figueroa.

6. Charlotte says:

Sizzler opened in the mid 80′s. I know because I was part of the original staff. I only lasted the summer which was a feat for a 17 year old. I must say that it was the worst job I’ve ever had. Cleaning up after slobs at the salad bar all day really sucked! And the managers were ridiculously strict…I was constantly reminded if I had so much as a strawberry in my mouth I would be fired! And the police would be called! And then that same manager would then try to corner me in the walk in! after working at Sizzler that summer, I begged for my job back, at Taco Bell! So yeah…level the place! Just don’t harm that tree!