- Tony from Goleta on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- Jim on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS AUG 24TH
- John on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- John on PIEOLOGY OPENS SATURDAY
- Mikey on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS
- John Dickson on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS AUG 24TH
- Susan Felicetta on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS
- Chaz on SPROUTS FARMERS MARKET OPENS AUG 24TH
- Blush - Seasonal Californian cuisine and profound signature cocktails in a modern setting. Available for private parties.
- Bistro Eleven Eleven - A stylish restaurant located in the Hotel Mar Monte that serves contemporary American cuisine with California flair.
- Ca' Dario is a local favorite Italian restaurant that wins "Best Of" awards year after year.
- Coast Restaurant & Bar - Savory, accessible comfort food reflecting Santa Barbara's seaside access.
- Eladio's - Offering California Casual Comfort food for lunch and dinner with a panoramic view of the waterfront.
- EOS Lounge - A contemporary cocktail lounge and nightclub with an exotic atmosphere.
- Omni Catering is a unique, full-service catering and event production company that specializes in custom event creation.
- Pizza Guru - Traditional and eccentric gourmet pizzas, salads, panini & pastas. Local sources, organic goodness.
- Pizza Mizza - Much More than Great Pizza...we offer Santa Barbara's Best Gourmet Pizzas
- Pure Joy Catering offers the entire package in full service special event and wedding catering.
- Silvergreens - Making our food as healthy as possible without compromising taste. Eat Smart...Live Well.
- Sly's Steaks, Seafood & Cocktails has earned a reputation for high quality foods with a vintage flair using the best of local and in-season ingredients.
- The Palace Grill - Features authentic Louisiana specialties such as Jambalaya, Crawfish Etouffée and more.
- The Marquee - Classic elegance located in the newly restored Granada Theatre
- The Savoy - A hybrid restaurant/lounge/concert hall and nightclub at 409 State Street
- Whole Foods Market - The premier location for organic produce and meats, local wines, specialty cheeses and more.
Monthly Archives: December 2012
Reader Matt tells me that Whodelicious cupcakes in Paseo Nuevo has closed and is moving to a new, unnamed location. Here is a message posted on their web site: Notice: Whodelicious is moving. Our new site is under construction. Last … Continue reading
My foodie duties for the year wouldn’t be complete without summarizing activity at food & drink destinations on the South Coast. In 2012 there were 48 openings and 42 closings of food-related businesses (with walk-in storefronts) across the South Coast. … Continue reading
Merry Christmas! Because this is December 25th I thought I would let you in on a little-known secret: an optical illusion that today I’ll officially coin “Rincon Santa.” This effect, that happens on the South Coast right near Mussel Shoals, … Continue reading
Reader Brendan tells me that 801 State Street, formerly Rocks and Snack Shack now says “leased”, and a liquor-license sign in the window mentions a business called “Josie’s.”
The Accidental Santa call center went live today and will be open noon – 8pm through Christmas eve. Children can reach the center calling 800-726-8222. Here is a short video of the call center in action on December 20, 2012. … Continue reading
This just in from the new Ca’Dario Pizzeria: Hi John. We have finally opened our pizzeria at 29 Victoria street, two doors down from Ca’Dario restaurant. At the moment we are only open at night from 5:00 p.m. and in … Continue reading
Lance Orozco of KCLU news (1340 AM) published a radio interview today that is being broadcast this week about the Accidental Santa call center that opens this Thursday. Children can call 800-726-8222 from December 20-24 noon – 8 p.m. to … Continue reading
Goleta dining institution Sizzler has closed at 5555 Hollister Avenue. On September 13, 2011 I reported that The Radius Group had published the address as available for lease. I spoke with a person on site who told me that demolition … Continue reading
Ca Dario Pizzeria opened last week at 29 E. Victoria Street in downtown Santa Barbara. The restaurant is open daily from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The pizzeria is the sister restaurant to the Italian eatery Ca Dario located next … Continue reading
A chef originally from Santa Barbara will be featured on the Travel Channel on Wednesday: Hi John, My name is Tim Buckingham. I was a Santa Barbara resident during the 80′s I went through the culinary program at S.B.C.C. and … Continue reading
Here are some menus from Anchor Woodfire Kitchen coming to 119 State Street (formerly Subway): Breakfast menu Lunch menu Dinner menu Dessert menu
Most local restaurants and coffee shops are open on Christmas Eve. If you want to know who’s open on Christmas Day, however, it’s absolutely impossible to find a complete list so last week The Restaurant Gal and I made hundreds … Continue reading
A new restaurant named The Shop Cafe has opened at 730 N. Milpas Street, formerly Taqueria el Refugio, La Chiripita Taqueria, Chili Town, DogHouse, Mexican Grill and Fosters Freeze (in the 1960’s). Co-owner Scott Manser tells me the business is … Continue reading
It appears that iGrill Korean BBQ at 3132 State St (formerly Jade) is accepting to-go orders Wed-Sun 5pm-9pm and hopes to open the full restaurant within a few weeks. When fully open the eatery will have 10 BBQ grills and space … Continue reading
I am told that Ca Dario Pizzeria at 29 E. Victoria Street might open as soon as this Thursday.
I am told that Anchor restaurant at 119 State Street, formerly Subway, hopes to open December 18th or 19th.
My good friend and Santa Center volunteer Harley Hahn maintains a special Santa Barbara Holiday Light Tour web page you can use to go on a free, self-guided Christmas-light tour. I went on the tour and shot an HD video … Continue reading
This just in from owner Crista Fooks: Scarlett Begonia, Santa Barbara’s newish boutique eatery, has finally launched phase two of their master plan….dinner. They will be open every week Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 5:30 to 9:00. The menu … Continue reading
Like many in this community I am saddened to hear that Santa Barbara legend Peter Sklar, founder of the popular Edhat.com, has passed away at age 50 from pneumonia following a fifteen month struggle with inoperable brain cancer. Peter was … Continue reading
Over the last decade I have been asked why I run an annual Santa Claus call center, and why my friends take the same photo every 5 years at a lake in northern California. Though much of my day-to-day activities … Continue reading
Owner Rori Trovato has opened Rori’s Artisanal Creamery at 1024 Coast Village Road in the Montecito Vons shopping center. Trovato describes her business this way: “We create organic ice creams that not only take you to a new planet, customers … Continue reading
A new Brazilian restaurant and fitness spot named Brasil Arts Cafe is coming to 1230 State Street in early 2013. Chef Lica Sfredo will offer Acai, smoothies, juices, Brazilian BBQ, Coxinhas, Feijoada, Brazilian desserts and more. Fitness options include Capoeira … Continue reading
There is a discussion on Edhat about a rumor that says Le Petit Valentien in downtown Santa Barbara is going to begin serving Ethiopian food on an occasional basis. Is this true? Your guess is as good as mine. Thanks … Continue reading
Owner Steven Giles closed his Sage & Onion restaurant on Ortega Street in downtown Santa Barbara in December 2007. In January 2013, just over 5 years later, he intends to open “Sage & Onion Cafe” at 5599 Hollister Avenue in … Continue reading
A new coffee and tea bar named XO has opened at 5599 Hollister Avenue in Goleta, next to Sizzler and the former home of Deli Planet. XO is brought to you by Steven Giles, founder of Sage & Onion restaurant. … Continue reading
If you have a suggestion please leave a message in the blog. Restaurant Guy, Please help! We are having our company’s holiday party in Santa Barbara this weekend and need a restaurant for Saturday night. We will have 12 people, … Continue reading
The San Francisco Chronicle (story) and Los Angeles Magazine (story) published news today that Fresh & Easy is considering closing all 200 stores in the United States. In the meantime, Fresh & Easy stores are staying open. The grocery chain … Continue reading
This 12/5/2012 update from reader Ted: Hi John, A bit last minute, but could you do a plug for tonight’s 2nd Annual Prohibition Repeal Day celebrations downtown? We have 6 bars participating–Marquee, Milk & Honey, Roy, Cadiz, Wildcat, Joe’s Cafe. … Continue reading
This observation provided to you by reader Ashleigh: I know this isn’t really breaking news, but I just noticed Wine Cask now posts their dessert menu instead of only their other menus. I think that’s neat, because they have some … Continue reading