Owners Eui and Amanda Oh tell me that the popular dessert destination Yogurtland just signed a lease at 5880 Calle Real in Goleta, the former home of Blockbuster. They plan to open their second location on the South Coast in the spring of 2013.

That’s weird with Yo Yo Yum across the street.

• a p c says:

I just want to say that I hate Yo Yum Yum’s logo. They put little dots above the u’s, which I think are supposed to make them happy faces. But as a former German student, all I can see are umlauts, which is awkward.

2. John Dickson says:

Yo Yo Yum is actually a block away towards Fairview.

• Glenn says:

Yeah kind of kitty korner at that intersection. Probably this does not deter them since Rockin Yogurt(my fave in town) is directly across from them on State. Except Rockin is a different style where they run the yogurt for you like pinkberry and the quality is much better whereas Yogurtland is more about the do it yourself + toppings which is Yo Yo Yum’s thing too hence my comment.

3. Charlotte says:

Yo Yum Yum is a stone throw away…and Its a ghost town. I don’t know about opening another frozen yogurt place, especially this time a year. I know our winters are very mild but it may be a psychological thing to just not crave pricey frozen yogurt in the winter.

I agree Yo Yo Yum’s salvation is hot summer days but the quality and selection will not be as good as Yogurtland I think. But it may come down to rent. Yogurtland is going to take up the WHOLE Blockbuster space? They may go out of business with that and the access to Yo Yo Yum is much better than the crappy blockbuster parking access, we’ve gone to Yo Yo Yum after bowling which works well too. It will be interesting.

5. Papa John says:

My wife or I take our son to Yo Yum Yum after school about once a week. It’s not a ghost town at that time of day.

As I recall, Yogurtland is 5 cents per ounce cheaper than YYY, and it does taste better. I wonder if YYY will change their price.

• andyr says:

As for pricing…YoYumYum is 35c/oz. Downtown Yogurtland is 40c/oz. Sweet Alley in IV is ~39c/oz (they do it per lb). Oxnard Yogurtland is 35c/oz.

YoYumYum gets crowded in the summertime from 6pm-8pm. During the summer I was there every single day.

YoYumYum uses different machines than Yogurtland. Yogurtland machines seem to keep the handles up much better and therefore keeps the FY cooler and it doesn’t get runny.

YoYumYum employees leave something to be desired.

6. Rob Egenolf says:

That is the site of the new Goleta branch of the Bank of Santa Barbara that set to open quite soon.

Are they sharing that site?

7. Amanda says:

Yay, I’m excited to have Yogurtland closer to me! Hate driving all the way downtown to visit it. I hope it does well, and drives that stupid obnoxious Yo Yo Yum (their LED sign KILLS ME when I see it) out of business.

8. a p c says:

I actually really like carob.

9. Don says:

I personally would like to see a boba tea place in that area. I like that you can get either cold or hot drinks. Some sell appetizers and/or desserts. So sales are not dependent on the season or weather.

10. Sue says:

For ice cream, Cold Stone Creamery is across the street.

11. a p c says:

SL said that, too. As a former professional ice creamer and current person-who-just-looked-up-some-nutrition-facts-and-stuff-about-cold-stone, how is it not ice cream?

For me Blenders and Backyard Bowls is I need for frozen treats on that street.

13. a p c says:

Somebody call the news, Charlotte said something negative.